techinical help

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
DRAGON-G

techinical help

Post by DRAGON-G »

I Have a mx-3 sohc B6-2E. It currently will not start. I belived it to be the coil but I tested the coil with an amp meter and it was good. But when I hook it up it has no fire coming out so I checked the power in and it gives me a spark but none coming out of the coil. Does any one have an idea as to what the problem may be? Thanx.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

If it is an external coil distributor that I would suspect the igniter module is shot or the cam sensor in the Distributor has failed. This is common now that these cars are getting to be 13-15 years old.
DRAGON-G

Post by DRAGON-G »

where exactly would I find the igniter module? what would it be around?
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

Its inside your distributor , and they sell better then stock disty's on ebay for around 175.00 shipped. stock ignitor module rated at 160 F ebays modle is around 205 F.
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

DRAGON-G wrote:where exactly would I find the igniter module? what would it be around?
The igniter is a small black module held in place by 2 screw usually attached to the bracket of the fusebox near the coil. It should have a 3 wire connector going to it. To test it requires a special test equipment and there is no way to this this at home. Usually you can get a new ignitor for around CN$ 65-70 but I hear that they are quite a bit more expensive down in the States like around US$120-150
DRAGON-G

Post by DRAGON-G »

I replaced the igniter with one from a protege and that didn't work so I guess now I just am going to have to buy a distributor. Thanks for the help.
DRAGON-G

Post by DRAGON-G »

I replaced the ignitor and the entire distibutor. I believe the problem is in the ecm and i was wondering if the computer in a protege lx would work? its the 4 cyl dohc. Thanks guys
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

I assume its the 90-94 Protege and you have a sohc? In that case the ecu will work.
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
Boris

Post by Boris »

nah i believe he's got the dohc, in which case a protege ecu wouldn't plug and play...
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

Boris look at his first post in this thread, I am pretty sure he's got the sohc... Boris can further explain what the benifits of having the protege ecy can be as he has one in his mx.
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
DRAGON-G

Post by DRAGON-G »

Yes I have the sohc. The fact that the protege is a dohc is not a problem?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”