Clicking...

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
e2blade

Clicking...

Post by e2blade »

Okay down to the point

there is a clicking noise when i turn and acclerate

im thinking it could be my cv boots/joints/bearings or something...

hopefully not major

but when i turn and dont gas it there is no sound

its been gettin worst by the weeks

yea its something i shouldnt ignore but i just dont have the money to fix it cause i know its gotta major
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

replace axles, and your problem will be gone...

:D
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Are you trying
To write a poem
Or do you speak
With only one lung
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

if that would of rhymed i woudl have been way more impressed....but funnny none the less
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Clicking...

Post by neutral »

e2blade wrote:Okay down to the point, there is a clicking noise when i turn and acclerate. im thinking it could be my cv boots/joints/bearings or something... hopefully not major but when i turn and dont gas it there is no sound. its been gettin worst by the weeks. yea its something i shouldnt ignore but i just dont have the money to fix it cause i know its gotta major
You sound scared lol. :wink: Don't be. Bet it's a bad CV joint. Not too major and if you do DIY, a rebuilt replacement axle runs $100 or less online or most autoparts stores. Includes CV joints and boots. Round here, getting a mech to do it usually totals from $175 to $250 and they install w/rebuilt parts as well.

Have you inspected the CV boots? Torn boot(s) would be an obvious need for replacement of that axle cuz of lost lubrication the boot is supposed to contain around the CV joint. Do you notice the clicking coming from one side or the other? Passenger side axles are longer than driver side so they tend to wear out faster on the pass side. The joint clicks cuz at certain speeds, accel/decel stresses, and turning angle stresses the worn "play" in the joint makes that clicking. Change of speed and/or turning angle produces differnt stress load and angle and the clicking stops when the play and stresses in the joint change as you drive.

Bad bearings tend to make more of a nasty vibration type rumble sound that you feel thru the whole car cuz the bearings actually support the wt. of the car - CV's do not. Bad bearings also tend to show themselves going bad when first accellerating or decellerating and often produce brake chatter as well due to their load-bearing job and the jumpy wheelplay under that load.

Sorry for the long reply but ya seemed like ya could use a hand and wth, I called out sick today neway. :wink: Check out the online manual from the main page of MX-3.com. You'll find a helpful exploded view diag. of what is involved. Post back with questions or do a few site searches if ya decide to DIY.
Image -Jim
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

sorry i have a bad habit of stanzas lol

but its mostly happending around start up and stops around 15 mph

and never on decellerating

and its on both sides

mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Like the other said, it's the axles. Both of mine went out around the same time, thats probably not unusual. You only hear the clicks when it's under load (when you accelerate) thats why you don't hear it when you turn without gassing.

I paid 70 per axle remaned. New ones were 120 or so. Basically what Neutral said.
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

The car says

41,5xx miles.....
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

........and?
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

at 40k miles this is normal?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

e2blade wrote:at 40k miles this is normal?
Your car is 13 years old. Age is just as bad, if not worse than milage. I have a 1960's caddy in my garage and despite it not being driven in 20 years it's not getting any younger. When it comes to axles the rubber gets old, cracks, lubricant goes bad/disapears, joint welds itself, axle explodes. Just cough up the $200. You'll be happy you did.
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

Where can i located and buy these axles...
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

The part name is "CV driveshaft." Napa sells em (listed as new, not reman) for $89 online
http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMa ... &VehCode=Y

Another online source worth checking is http://www.rockauto.com/. You should also be able to get em through any regular NAPA parts store. I believe that Advance Auto Parts and Autozone stores also sell the reman CV driveshafts for ~$75 USD.
Image -Jim
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

mr1in6billion wrote:Like the other said, it's the axles. Both of mine went out around the same time, thats probably not unusual. You only hear the clicks when it's under load (when you accelerate) thats why you don't hear it when you turn without gassing.
You can also get the same clicking problem if the spyder gears in the differential are on there way out as well.

The usual cause for both axles to go at about the same time and/or the diff to go is the engine mounts are shot.
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

neutral wrote:The part name is "CV driveshaft." Napa sells em (listed as new, not reman) for $89 online
http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMa ... &VehCode=Y

Another online source worth checking is http://www.rockauto.com/. You should also be able to get em through any regular NAPA parts store. I believe that Advance Auto Parts and Autozone stores also sell the reman CV driveshafts for ~$75 USD.
Thank you :)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”