Air Flow Meter (VAF) resistance (ohm) values: linear or not?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
foca

Post by foca »

also,

I have a KL02 VAF, it came with the car. can anyone confirm that this is the corect flow meter?

checked a couple more things:

- timing advance is OK
- timing belt is not stretched (but have not confirmed that it has not slipped position)

again, moving the VAF towards the "more air" direction smoothes out the idle real nice. under load (reverse with parking brake on), it results in more power and smoother revs. starting to suspect VAF again.
Santiago
West Palm Beach, FL
1993 MX-3 V6 K8
max kl

Post by max kl »

will it rev to red line?
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
andy

Post by andy »

I live in Lake Worth, you could describe your problem all day to me but I would much rather just take a look at your car to help figure it out.
email me a way to contact you and we could set up a meeting.
I'm not a mechanic and will not charge you anything, I'm just very familiar with the 1.8 v6.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
foca

Post by foca »

andy,

I love you... like a brother that is... well, maybe a little more if you get me over this hump bro.

call me at 305-527-7223. I am in west palm, okeechobee rd and SR7. or email me with your number at sruiz@sikorsky.com

really appreciate your time dude.

about the redline:

Yes the the car will stumble it's way up close to redline when I drive it hard.
Santiago
West Palm Beach, FL
1993 MX-3 V6 K8
max kl

Post by max kl »

check voltage drop to motor ground.
connect dvom black to batt neg
connect dvom red to head or block.
with engine running should be less than .3 vdc

if higher check neg batt cable or use some jumper cables to temporarly replace neg cable.
conect i side of jumper to neg batt term and other to head or block if engine runns better than replace neg cable.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
150 shot
foca

Post by foca »

ground check. OK, good one, I'll try it tonight. It occurred to me last night, but I quickly dismissed it due to the other symptoms. but at this point, it's worth trying. I'll post what happens. thanks.
Santiago
West Palm Beach, FL
1993 MX-3 V6 K8
foca

Post by foca »

more stuff eliminated:

- timing belt positioning is OK
- ground at engine is OK (less than .1 V)

A little more descrition of the symptoms:

There seems to be dead spots along the throttle sweep. so if you slowly push the pedal from about 1/4 to 3/4 slowly, there is no response. If I rapidly feather the throttle, however, there is a response at those same dead points. it seams like the rapidly changing signal allows the computer to properly map the fuel.

don't know what else. gonna get an o-scope on it tomorrow and try looking at some of this stuff at the ECU. maybe I see something.

Andy, you able to come over tomorrow?
Santiago
West Palm Beach, FL
1993 MX-3 V6 K8
max kl

Post by max kl »

i had a customers car with a very similar list of symptoms and after i adjusted the timing
replaces the ect & connector
repaired broken wire at tps on the idle switch portion not the tps sweep signal
adjusted the tps so it triggers fan as soon as throttle is touched instead of the feller gauge spec.

also do you have any codes stored?
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot
andy

Post by andy »

Yes I can make it over tonight. I get off work at 4:00 pm, I'll give a call when I get home. One thing we could try is to switch VAF's with mine.
I'm thinking the 2.5L VAF is messing with your fuel/air mixture on your 1.8L motor. Possably causing some of the dead spots during acceleration.

later

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
foca

Post by foca »

problem solved thanks to andy!!

looks like the previous bumb-a-- mechanic installed the wrong, brand-new VAF. since it was brand new and met spec, I kept overlooking it, until I came full circle back to it a few posts ago. luckily when I was looking for one, someone on ebay listed it as a JE50...

apparently the KL02 I had is off a later model 2.5 V6 or something. we plugged in andy's JE50 and it worked great.

so, now I need a JE50. anybody?

thanks for everything fellas, and much thanks to andy!!
Santiago
West Palm Beach, FL
1993 MX-3 V6 K8

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”