How Much Abuse

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
purplemx3gs

How Much Abuse

Post by purplemx3gs »

How much torture will these K8, 5spd's, take. Just curious cuz i drive mine very hard and it has 172000 kms on it. I know the civics can be tortured for a really long time, but are these k8 motors any better or worse?
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

i know with mine b4 i switched my ze in ....my water pumped leaked so i would crazily overheat the thing atleast 5 times a day....put it to 7000 each gear and pwer shift the hell out of it for like 3 weeks or more....i was tryin to kill it but it didn't even die it still would run if i wanted it to and that had 315000 km on it
you have to keep up with the maintnance and stuff tho....check eveything over atleast once or twice a week
these engines are strong as hell if well maintained
2006 best ET 14.43 @ 96.9mph
93 MX-3 GS-95 Curveneck klze, kl-01 cammed,homemade CAI,HEI module, chipped kl-07 ECU,UDP,KYB GR-2 struts,DropZone lowering springs, Toyo Proxes 4's 205-50-r15
parts to be installed:Turbo hot pipes,T04E/t3 50/63 57 trim, ssqv BOV, hks style 38mm wastegate
the rest of my turbo set up and IPP hp rebuild kit is in the NEAR future
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
purplemx3gs

Post by purplemx3gs »

ya i keep mine well maintained and i check all the fluids like u say twice a week. Sounds great thats what i needed to hear. So i just hope the transmission will last and the new clutch will last at least another 2 years. lol
max kl

Post by max kl »

yea engine & trans are tough to kill. low coolant or oil will do it tho.

k8 or kl trans is reliable to 250 whp. im pushing 300+ & i break a trans every 10to 15 drag races.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

max kl wrote:yea engine & trans are tough to kill. low coolant or oil will do it tho.
Or constantly pushing it past redline.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
max kl wrote:yea engine & trans are tough to kill. low coolant or oil will do it tho.
Or constantly pushing it past redline.
I pushed my k8 to 8k over and over. I never changed oil in the whole 8 months i had it. I didn't give a crap. I intended on ze swap. I got the ze and the k8 was still running great when I took it out.
My tranny grinds 2nd and 3rd bad sometimes
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

purplemx3gs wrote:i drive mine very hard and it has 172000 kms
purplemx3gs wrote: So I just hope the transmission will last and the new clutch will last at least another 2 years. lol
The 2 are incompatable. Expecting an inexpesive car to absorb constant abuse yet still expecting it to perform under those conditions for another 2 years is an unreal expection. We all should know an expectation is a predetermined disappointment. I shake my head and I just don't seem to understand. If you already know that you are driving the car excessively hard which is not what it was designed to do and is therefore not good for it. And you know that it has to last you 2 years, why in the world would you want to continue at your present rate? It just doesn't make sense. In my mind, if there's a limitation creating the need to prevent the car from giving out on you within 2 years and knowing that constant abuse will go against that need, you are only working against yourself. Knowing that, wouldn't it make perfect sense to adjust your current habits so that it will work towards that 2 year need and not against it?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

"If you already know that you are driving the car excessively hard which is not what it was designed to do"

when they design eny engine they don't give it to grandma and let her put 10 km a year for 10 years on it....they put them through harsh testing....findin there limits then they put a factory rev limiter to keep numptys from blowing them up
unless your excessively stupid with your car you may have to fix a few minor things but 170k km motor you can beat on it for a couple years
i've had my ze in for alittle over a year and i drive that thing hard had it to the east coast twice this summer ....put 50000km on it since its been in 20k in just the summer still runs strong as hell
93 MX-3 GS-95 Curveneck klze, kl-01 cammed,homemade CAI,HEI module, chipped kl-07 ECU,UDP,KYB GR-2 struts,DropZone lowering springs, Toyo Proxes 4's 205-50-r15
parts to be installed:Turbo hot pipes,T04E/t3 50/63 57 trim, ssqv BOV, hks style 38mm wastegate
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

i'v got 426000 kms on mine and i'v beaten the hell out of it since i got'er at 180k km.

my k8 held strong till 355 when i changed it (tho it was leaking oil...but a little monitoring and filling takes care of that) and i am at the end of my 2nd tranny, but that's just a synchro issue.

i'v put about 5000 km a month since i got her in '02 and still drive as if i stole 'er

tho, just don't b surprised when things do break...
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

max kl wrote: k8 or kl trans is reliable to 250 whp. im pushing 300+ & i break a trans every 10to 15 drag races.
Question:

What are you breaking on your transmittion? third gear? or the diff?
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

kiwi_MX3 wrote:
max kl wrote: k8 or kl trans is reliable to 250 whp. im pushing 300+ & i break a trans every 10to 15 drag races.
Question:

What are you breaking on your transmittion? third gear? or the diff?
usually 3rd gear synchro goes bad like really bad and the diffs are horrible.
But for sopme reason my 2nd gear synchro is bad. i guess all thsoe powershifts have done that..lol
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
purplemx3gs

Post by purplemx3gs »

If you already know that you are driving the car excessively hard which is not what it was designed to do and is therefore not good for it. And you know that it has to last you 2 years, why in the world would you want to continue at your present rate? It just doesn't make sense.

I only said that because i have plans of saving this year for lowering and paint and 18" wheels/tires. So if something major like the tranny or motor break, then ill have to spend my money on fixing not adding. So its not a big deal!
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

i got my kyb gr2 struts from autoparts online canada
they have good prices and free shippin anywhere in canada on orders over $75
the struts were only like $75 bucks a piece and i got dropzone 1.8" drop lowering springs off ebay for like a $100
its a real good set up for cheap.....i was takin big 90 degree corners on the highways in NB wtih no problems at 210 km/h.......also had brand new set of toyo proxes 4's .....i wouldn't reccommend tryin it
they have almost anything you could need for an mx3 or anyother kind of car
http://www.autopartsonlinecanada.com
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

ive got 264,000 on mine ive put 53,000 in one year and it burns about half a quart of oil a tank since i drove it at 150kph for about 3 hours straight but besides that its still running super strong

i got my kyb gr2 shocks for $45 each from gregg distributors in langley bc
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”