Help - Engine stalls after 10 minutes driving

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Paylrider

Help - Engine stalls after 10 minutes driving

Post by Paylrider »

Hi, I am ready to burn my MX-3 (just kidding) I changed out the engine a while back for another stock engine, 1992 V-6, standard MX-3, After a while the engine on its own would rev up to 3000 rpm, and stay there for several minutes, now the car shuts down after 10 to 15 minutes driving, and will not start for 20 minutes, sometimes if I floor the gass it will start again, any ideas on which sensor may be causing this. I checked codes and changed the TPS sensor, no help, codes were 04, 09, 16 and 69, using the paper clip method of checking.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Could be your Ignitioncoil/module (most likly module) they go out on are cars alot cause it to shut down at random time and then start up 5-20 mins later. After it has shut down and wont start up..while ur cranking check to see if you have spark. (unplug a sparkwire from the disty and hold it really close to where its suppose to go allowing spark to jump the gap, if u have spark while ur cranking.

You have to get a new DISTY to fix it. HEI mod does wonders also.
Last edited by XxantwawnxX on November 27th, 2006, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

try this...

Jump ten to gnd.. as if you were diagnosing it, and drive it, see if it still stalls.

That usually shows theres a sensor bad, and its bypassed in diag mode, just running off of base timing. If not, it could be an electrical problem.

reset your ECU - pull the battery cable, let it sit for a few mins or just hold down the brake pedal for a min or so.

See if yous till get the same codes...
start resolving the codes :)
Paylrider

Thanks guys, how about the revving?

Post by Paylrider »

Any ideas on the revving to 3000 rpm, then back to normal?
XxantwawnxX

Re: Thanks guys, how about the revving?

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Paylrider wrote:Any ideas on the revving to 3000 rpm, then back to normal?
I have a feeling that the reving has nothing to do with the stalling (two diff probs) but im not sure. Could be Idle Air control. If you have the money to throw at it, just get a whole TB from a junk yard and swap it..see if the prob persists. If not the ur gonna have to do some code hunting and systematic problm solving.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

probably your disty
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
illapino

Post by illapino »

probably ur distributor
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Thanks guys, how about the revving?

Post by jschrauwen »

Paylrider wrote:Any ideas on the revving to 3000 rpm, then back to normal?
Fred, give me a call tonight and maybe we can hash some of this stuff out.
Your idle surge is usually indicative of possible combination of a leak in your ribbed intake tube between the TB and the VAF. Hopefully it wasn't too brittle when you did your engine swap or you may have introduced a small crack into the ribbed portion - which is a normal ocurance over time.
Second, you also mentioned that you did a TPS replacement. Hopefully you followed my FAQ/sticky with regards to setting that up. If perchance the intake tube was pooched when doing that TPS adjust, than you'd have an incorrect setting. One kind of feeds off the other if you know what I mean. If we can get those 2 potential issues out of the way, then we could focus on a possible disty problem.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
max kl

Post by max kl »

code 4 is no crank positon signal to ecm from distrubtor.

repalce your distrubtor .hei mod wont help

code 9 water temp sensor problem can cause poor or erattic idle

16 & 69 both are egr codes can also cause idle probs but unlikely.

so replace dis. and test temp sensor circut
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

oh man i did not notice he actually labeled the codes he got, guess thats what i got for skimming : ( (doh)

dukem2

Post by dukem2 »

try replacing code 9. i had that prob. 0-60 time was in the 1.5 minute range. after 800 worth of testing (dumbasses) someone on here suggested that it was the temp sensor that control air/fuel mixture. i replaced it for 28 bux and eureeka, it works, after a year of frustrating driving, it's fixed. :D
KL-ZE 1993 MX-3 GS, lightweight flywheel, cone filter. 155 whp, 160 wheel torque

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”