Question about power steering leak.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fabmxer

Question about power steering leak.

Post by fabmxer »

My power steering pump leaks pretty bad, in 5-10 minutes it leaks all the power steering that I put in. I looked under the car and I don't know where its leaking from, but it could be coming from the gasket, there might be a hairline crack in the pump, or from something else I dont know the name of.

The leak used to be that I had to refill it every 2 days or so, but now it got alot worse, and one time I was driving and all the power steering leaked out, and I couldn't pull over and get some more to refill it, and I was like 10 minutes away from home, so the power steering stopped working and I drove it on empty. Ever since I refilled it its been screeching every time I turn the wheel, but it gets quiter at higher speeds. Maybe I wore the pump out?

I know its hard to say without looking at it, but you think just a new pump should fix all of this, or what else could it be?

appreciate the help....
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

did you check reservoir, maybe its cracked
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

Yeah, I pulled it out, washed it and tested it, it looks good,
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

There is a stupid defective gasket.. in the pump itself... gotta take it out and make your own.. well at least thats what happen to mine.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

Well I know it takes like $2 to make a gasket which is alot cheaper then the pump, but if I'm alredy taking out the pump ( which probably takes a couple hours??? ) I dont mind replacing it entirely. Is that a good idea?

Thanks
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

ya might as well get new one and get some money from that core
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Or check with Trevor. He has a used pump for sale here for reasonable price. http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
Image -Jim
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Well it only takes around 20 mins to take the pump out. Yeah newer is better. Make sure pump comes with that copper pi[pe.. if it doesnt. You gotta make the gasket anyway.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

hmm... 20 minutes? I hope so, my brother told me it could take a couple hours, but to check the book to see what I gotta remove. If it takes that short, thats awesome.

So what do you mean by the copper pipe, ? If I call a local auto parts store do I ask if it comes with the copper pipe, or what? And shouldn't the new pump come with a gasket?

Thanks for the responses.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

The copper pipe is the pipe attached to the power steering pump, then its attached to the hose going to the resevoir. If its gonna come without the pipe.. you need to make a gasket for it. Defeating the purpose of getting a new one.. To remove.. simple removebelts, remove power steering pulley. Remove bolts and comes out. The first time I did it took me hmm around 45 mins the most. An inexperienced mechanic may take a bit longer but.. again its direct bolt on so its not like if you are modifying anything.
-hec

fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

Oh ok, now I know what your talking about, Thank you.
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

it comes down to how long it takes you to undo the 5 bolts the two fittings for the hoses and loosen off the belt...its pretty basic
check the little copper compression washers where the fittings attach to the pump....if the get banged around to much they could start leaking and it'll squirt out all your fluid in a hurry
2006 best ET 14.43 @ 96.9mph
93 MX-3 GS-95 Curveneck klze, kl-01 cammed,homemade CAI,HEI module, chipped kl-07 ECU,UDP,KYB GR-2 struts,DropZone lowering springs, Toyo Proxes 4's 205-50-r15
parts to be installed:Turbo hot pipes,T04E/t3 50/63 57 trim, ssqv BOV, hks style 38mm wastegate
the rest of my turbo set up and IPP hp rebuild kit is in the NEAR future
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

I went to the autoparts store,and there are a couple different kinds of power steering pumps. One I think is like circle rounded hub, or square hub with raised middle, or something like that. Which one do I buy for the 1.8 GS 1993 model, ( I did the KLZE swap if it makes a difference )

Thanks.
fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

Sooo... Kragen Autoparts had the pump for like $40-$60 , and Pep Boys had it for like $160 lol

I ended up not buying anything and attempt to replace the power steering gasket. Appears there was no gasket, only the O - Ring, So I made a gasket and let it dry for 18 hours and now it runs PERFECT.

What I had to do was take off the tire, take off the accessory belt, take the power steering pulley off ( even though the book says I dont need to? ) and I unbolted the power steering copper piping from the pump, but I left the pump and everything on, and there was enough room to make a gasket without actually taking the whole pump out, which was good.

Hope that helps to anyone who had the same problem ...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”