Shaved Trunk Lock (Welding)

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
illapino

Shaved Trunk Lock (Welding)

Post by illapino »

same story for this alteration
I've consulted Greg already (he's done it) but still interested in more details... i can't weld. i'm useless, God, USELESS !

1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

;)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I agree it looks cool.. but man would it suck if the hatch release cable broke LOL I am going a different route.. gonna leave the hatch key hole and shave the door handles instead. That way I still have an emergency way into the car and dont have to worry about the hatch release cable ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

OMG, I'm getting a visual here ........ Eric climbing through the hatch of his MX because the battery died and the popper won't work. :lol:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

LOL Hey thats better than folding down the seats and crawling back into the hatch to manually pop the hatch open ;) Either would suck.. I am just taking the lesser of 2 evils LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

illapino

Post by illapino »

alright boys. let's get back on track here

:x
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

We are on track.. we are discussing the pros and cons of shaved locks. If you cant weld.. there is nothing more for you than to take it to a body shop and pay someone to do it for you.

Tunes67

illapino

Post by illapino »

no body shops want to do it ... all they care about is collisions
welding shops won't do it either
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Body shops will do it.. you will pay for it.. and most of them probably wont even give you a price quote if they dont think you will actually pay for the work. Its not worth their time. But if you walk in and say I want my doors repainted or my car repainted and I want you to shave the door handles and trunk lock when you do it.. they will do it.. just dont start out by saying "How much will this cost.." Cause that kind of work is time consuming and NOT cheap. Now.. if they are going to paint your entire car for you as well as doing the shaved locks.. then you might get a decent deal. This is one of those mods that unless you can do body work.. your going to pay for it. And it wont be cheap.

Tunes67

illapino

Post by illapino »

yes, well i know that they will shave anything if it comes with paintjobs, but this was for paintjobs not involved. i simply want shaving alone, and now that i know the answer in my city, i've resigned the idea completely. until i have five grand in spare change for me to have my car repainted. thanks everyone...
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

that purple looks good
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

5,000 for a paint job? Sheesh.. I knew you canucks had some economic problems but DAYUM! What are you having done? Gold leaf on the entire car? I am looking at a bumper to bumper job with a minor dent repair and a lot of smoothing.. 3 coats of paint and 2 of clear for around $1500. Will probably be a two tone job.. but that will add a bit more..

Tunes67

illapino

Post by illapino »

yup. those are the estimates i get for a complete makeover including doorjams... minimum is $2500 (at a modest but clean shop) ... highest was $8000 (but this was at a collision autbody that does all the porsches and ferraris for local dealerships here)... ne1 else have canadian numbers?
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

tunes

you are getting 3 coats of base and 2 coats of clear? thats interesting, my guy is recommending 2 base and 4 clear lol.
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Depends on what paint your using.. if your doing a metal flake or a mica type job.. I think (Dont quote me I know next to nothing about body work) the way you have stated is the correct way. I am going for solid colors and no metal flake in mine... so the extra coat of base is just there more to protect from deep chips I think. I am still looking around on this since the paint job wont happen till april or so at the earliest.. the only thing I really know for certain is that I wont be going to Maaco ;)

Tunes67

Return to “Appearance”