A hello to all and some questions about the swap :)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
TrIcK^

A hello to all and some questions about the swap :)

Post by TrIcK^ »

First off, i would like to say hi to you all. Im from the uk and enjoy having a tinker with motors etc.
Currently have 3 motors, an mx6, a mx3, and a mondeo. The 6 is getting broke and the 3 is the project car.

Im currently in the process of organising all parts for sticking this:

into this:

Ive read most of the info available relating to this that i could find but i have some other questions for ya ;)
Firstly relating to the gearbox. I really didnt fancy the box off the 3 as i found it to be a fairly short ratio, so im thinking about dropping the box of an mx6 in. I know this will bolt up, but are there any issues regarding the drivetrain from this?
Also, has anyone ever swapped out the driveshafts and hubs for the mx6 parts? Do you know if this would be a straight forward swap? I can check myself in the future, the obvious advantage being a stronger drivetrain with oem parts (theoretically lol), but im hoping someone may have more info on this.
Got a couple of other querys but my brain is a bit coffuzled after night shift, so im gonna get flat :P
Any help very welcome, and thanks for looking :)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You can use the MX-6 trans, but the hubs won't fit our controll arms and such. The axles need to be from a MX-3 for the proper width. The motor is pretty much a drop-in, but you've read about that. Any more ?s feel free to ask and welcome to the board.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
max kl

Post by max kl »

yea i wish the mx6 axles would fit but its not so.
they are alot beffer.
the mx3 v6 axles will fit and work fine and the pass side prop shaft is interchangeable.
all of this info is true ONLY if you do not have a j spec limited slip tranny!

the mx3 axles will suport -200 whp you can run more but will be short lived. ans the lighter the flywheel the better for the axles IF you drag race.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

The axles aren't the problem, its the tranny. Get a good clutch and a set of headers, these upgrades are a lot easier when the engine is out.
65 shot > V8
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Of course you must have also read that it would be a prudent move at this point (before dropping 2.5L engine in), that you change the timing belt and water pump. There may be a requirement to transfer a few bits from the K8 to the 2.5L. Again, this info has already been documented.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
TrIcK^

Post by TrIcK^ »

Thanks for all the info guys, some good pointers.
What im aiming for at the moment, is clutch & flywheel replacement. Fidanza and either CMS3 or just Exedy OEM. Depends really on what im gonna try to pull from this power wise.
I think ill also go with poly inserts. I just cant justify the cost of MS mounts that offer 30% stiffer over OEM when the inserts are effective themselves.
MX6 box, and ill stay on the present axles for now :(
Prep wise, i intend to do the timing belt and pulleys, possibly water pump and install from there. Fit with Jspec ECU and VAF. Get it running ok, get the engine flushed and running ok and ill be happy with that. Should be ok, its gunked inside with old oil, but being a 40k kilometer engine, it should run smooth after some work.

In the meantime, i can pull the IM and cam covers off the other engine i have to get them polished or powdercoated. Learn a bit more about the HEI module fix and possibly the millenia alternator. Or even use the Jspec alt i have on the 6 (need to measure up).

Lots of other stuff to do including a bit of rust tackle, bit of leather repair etc and so on.
Either way, will just be a continual work in progress trying to restore it back to how it should be :)
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

the axles issue goes like this
Jspec mx6 are 26mm diameter shaft's vs 22mm for mx3
the Cv's are 6ball vs 3 pod troquids

if its a daily driver just use the mx3 gear.

My car is built for "night racing" and is modfied up the wazoo!
far beyond the extent of these peaple on the boards.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

For the intake manifold you want to use a millenia IM, more easy. The straighjt neck goes it if you tweak the rear mount. Or mount it backwards and get a little hood scoop to clear the hood. Its quite easy.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”