Local mechanics/parts store/junkyards section

This forum is for your (the user and visitors of MX-3.com) opinion, recommendations and issues about MX-3.com.
ariesdude

Local mechanics/parts store/junkyards section

Post by ariesdude »

Would it be a good idea to add a section with info on reliable/reasonable mechanics, service stations, parts stores and junk yards for every locale. Members could just contribute info on where they have been treated well or info about places to stay away from. It is difficult to hit every place in town just to find out they are quacks/extortionists.
<RANT>
I just had an experience today where the mechanic wanted $140 (labor) to replace the oil pressure sender switch! It is difficult especially here because the mechanics basically go into a rant ("it is hard to work on these damn toyotas, hondas, mazdas etc") and then try to charge my right testicle for labor.
</RANT>

I dont know how it could be structured for easy access - right now i can only think of this structure -

Country -> State/Province -> City
- Mechanics/Service Stations
- Parts/Junkyards
- Members available to help

Opinions/Suggestions ...?
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

to do that you would have to do more of a directory then a forum, but i love your idea.

And for thoes mofo's that say its hard to work on "damn toyotas, hondas, mazdas etc"

tell them to shove a airhose up there a--.

If they think its complicated then they should NOT be touching your car.

Im 16 years old, ok, and i find working on these cars wicked easy. expecially the 4 cylinder mx-3's because of how much engine compartment room there is.

Its all the electrical mumbojumbo that gets them all worried.

Basically, if they find something "Hard to do" then theve eather never done it before, or just wanna make more cash.

The oil pressure switch is easy to get to on our cars, i mean, its not much harder then chainging a oil filter.

OK, im done ranting now.

Bochek
hharb

Post by hharb »

that's a wicked idea.. i've always had problems finding the right mechanic or place to buy parts from... i'm not sure what's the best way to implement your idea but it would be a great asset to the members and would provide great help, especially when we're talking about certain mods that most mechanics are not familiar with, it would be great to go to someone who's done the job before and know exactly what they're doing.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I see this idea as one thats fairly simple to implement.. Just have the mods create stickied posts at the top of the regional club forum.

Local Junkyard List

Positive/Negative Mechanics & Garages

Both stickies would more or less work like the Buy/Sell Feedback forum. As for the members available to help.. well.. I think thats something that can come about as we become more aquainted with other members in our areas.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
c_9000

Post by c_9000 »

this is a great idea..and would love to see this happen because im gonna start work on my car soon
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Local mechanics/parts store/junkyards section

Post by neutral »

ariesdude wrote:...I just had an experience today where the mechanic wanted $140 (labor) to replace the oil pressure sender switch! It is difficult especially here because the mechanics basically go into a rant ("it is hard to work on these damn toyotas, hondas, mazdas etc") and then try to charge my right testicle for labor.Opinions/Suggestions ...?
Nice idea. I live on the E. coast and around here, most mechs only charge a left testicle for labor costs. They charge a right testicle for the parts :shock:
Image -Jim
hharb

Post by hharb »

man, we should make this happen, i dont know how to go about it though, but if any senior members or moderators could help us get this done it would be great and save us money and get things done right.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Thats goingto be up to Jeff. Thats also free advertising for companies...
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I see your point Barry.. but it could just as easily be negative marketing/advertising for them as well. I think the key here would be to limit the businesses named to ones that are local only. No e-commerce or web sites. I could be wrong but I think those are the ones that would benefit most from free online web advertising. Would it be possible to lock a thread or forum so that "Guests" would be unable to browse it? Just a thought so that only members (or maybe even only supporting members) would be able to view those stickied threads?

Just a few ideas.. Cheers :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
hharb

Post by hharb »

I agree with Tunes67, I also understand where Barry is coming from, but the postings will be highly beneficial to mx3 owners and there could be some restrictions to assure that the point is helping other mxers rather than advertising for companies. maybe you could limit postings to supporting members... and have it viewed by members only. or just have the whole thing done for supposrting members, this would perhaps increase the number of supporting members.. I'm hoping Jeff would look into it and let us know what he thinks.
Tempus

Local vendor/service recommends

Post by Tempus »

Bump!

I think this is an excellent idea. It surely would give an incentive to donate (something I've been meaning to do for a while....)

It would be a lot of work to trying and create sections for regions, states, etc, especially of some of them would remain largely empty. So I'm not sure that approach makes sense.

Doing via the local clubs sections might get them a bit more traffic, but kinda hijacks their areas also, so I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

Perhaps it could be implemented via asking (or requiring) people to adhere to a specific format within the message subject, and/or inside the message itself. I'm thinking something like State/Province, Metro area, City, Type of business

Eg. WA -> Seattle -> Bothell -> Body Shops

This would make it easy for people to search the subject headers for their state (or other nearby states) to see if a thread exists for their area and the type of business involved.

You'd need a sticky note at the top giving the RULES, and probably a good seed list of types of business, so that folks have a ready-made set of keywords to search on. The downside is that the moderators would need to enforce by editing subjects if needed, or just bumping the messages elsewhere/reposting properly (not sure what tools you have, and what's easiest on the mods)
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
hharb

Post by hharb »

the sections within could be easily made and managed. just one sticky for each region, or just having some sorta list of shops that is arranged by area or region. it's not that complicated if there is a will of implementing it.

Return to “MX-3.com Site and Forum Recommendations and Issues”