Solution to foggy head lamps

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
jamario

Solution to foggy head lamps

Post by jamario »

I BOUGHT THIS PRODUCT FROM ADVANCE AUTO PARTS FOR TWENTY BUCKS AND IT IS WELL WORTH IT. TOOK ME 30 MINUTES TO HAVE MY HEADLAMPS LOOKING LIKE NEW. CHECK OUT THE SITE :

http://www.crystalviewchemicals.com
IF LIFE DOESN'T OFFER A GAME WORTH PLAYING, THEN INVENT ONE.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

dont worry your head lights will go back to the crapy look it was. I get this nice little bottle called plastic x at k-mart every time I wash my car I put this on my head lights and it will stay like new for ever now. bottle will last you for a long time to.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Theres also a FAQ showing other things that work :)
Lookwuticando

Post by Lookwuticando »

I went to the trouble of taking mine off and oven baking the lenses off to clean inside...

then sanding down the lenses. Mine were pretty weathered. Looks better though
92 MX-3 RS
JapesMooney

Oven baked lights?

Post by JapesMooney »

Err sorry... Oven baking the inside? This can't be what it sounds like. I'd love for you to expound.
95 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl B6 DOHC
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Oven baked lights?

Post by jschrauwen »

JapesMooney wrote:Err sorry... Oven baking the inside? This can't be what it sounds like. I'd love for you to expound.
Once again, it's covered in the stickies and FAQ's.
Oven baking for the purpose of removing the lenses safely. Part of a process normally, as a prelude to gutting the inards in preparation for modding for projectors. The inside lense must be free of any ribbed portions that will taint the effectiveness of the future projectors. Others feel it necessary to remove the lense to clean the inside of it.

There's numerous products out there that will do the job of removing the hazing on the exterior of the lights. For over eleven years I've stuck with using Mother's wax remover/cleaner. I give them a good cleaning/polishing 2 or 3 times a year and they've remained good as new. One of the headlights on the 95 GS that I picked up this past fall had severe hazing (the other had been replaced with a new one by previous owner). By using that wax cleaner, you can't tell the difference between the original and the new unit. A little time and a lot of elbow grease and good as new.

If someone has fogging on the inside of the lense, then it's best to verify that the 90 degree rubber elbows (used for venting purposes) on the back of the light unit are clear of any debris and the openning is facing downward.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Lookwuticando

Post by Lookwuticando »

To clean the mirror chrome part inside, the lenses have to come off. The only way this is possible is with heat, they are glued together. Know what I mean?
92 MX-3 RS
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Here is my solution for foggy lights:

:wink:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Lookwuticando wrote:To clean the mirror chrome part inside, the lenses have to come off. The only way this is possible is with heat, they are glued together. Know what I mean?
I'm aware of that and do know what you mean. Normally, and I mean normally, the reflective lenses should never really need to be cleaned unless the venting or seals have been compromised in the past. If it has, than there probably isn't really much of an alternative but to get inside.

solo_ryder wrote:Here is my solution for foggy lights
E-Spec / J-Spec lights. Yep, got me the J-Spec ones. Certain E-Spec units were glass though.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
hharb

Post by hharb »

you don't really need to clean the inside tho.. just cleaning the outside with a good plastic wax ( i use plastix by mgwire) should take about 10 mins to give you close to factory clean headlights.. i don't understand why somebody would go through the hassle of baking their headlights if they could get great results with a 10 mins buffing job.
Lookwuticando

Post by Lookwuticando »

Because I could look inside through the lenses and see dirt and crap in there, believe me it was a last resort. I tried little rags on a stick through the bulb hole first :)
92 MX-3 RS
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

GS 27 works great too
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
hharb

Post by hharb »

haha.. so did you go with the baking? .. i just dont find it appealing putting my headlights in an oven.. there's got to be other ways to melt th sealant.. i'm gonna be making my own progectors and i'm using the original mx3 lens so i'd have to bake my headlights as well, but i have spare ones.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok.. here is a old hotrodder trick for cleaning inside light assemblies that are sealed.. take 1 large 5 gallon bucket.. fill with water. Place light assemblies inside bucket.. submersing completely.. dump in 25 tablets of efferdent. Let sit over night. Rinse and dry. This little trick worked so well I had people thinking I had bought new assemblies for my old nova. You can scale this down of course and it would probably help to put some tablets directly inside the housings (assemblies) before submersing them.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Lookwuticando

Post by Lookwuticando »

The baking doesn't harm the lights at all...150 degrees for 15 minutes
in a pan...a few carrots and an onion, mmm-hmmmm....
92 MX-3 RS

Return to “Appearance”