KLZE aircare nightmare please help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
o0loopy0o

KLZE aircare nightmare please help

Post by o0loopy0o »

Ok so I live in British Coulmbia and we have an emissions testing program called aircare. :x as you can probably imagine like many other ze's im having a hell of a time passing.

In B.C. the max allowables for any passenger car with any displacement are:

(all in g/km)
Driving HC = 0.5
Driving CO = 9.32
Driving NOx =1.24

In B.C. there is no "Hot Rod" parameters and i can tell them i have an engine swap but the parameters will stay the same.

Before summer right after i installed my ze i went with this setup

curved neck ZE, stock ecu and vaf, headers, magnaflow cat, magnaflow pre silencer and a magnaflow muffler with all 2.25 piping. with chevron 94: and got these numbers

Driving HC = 1.24 FAIL
Driving CO = 13.84 FAIL
Driving NOx = 0.76

I then was able to get 3months insurance and spent the summer locating an ECU

I then replaced the ecu to a kl31 i went to mazda and had my timing and TPS adjusted

i then went to aircare again:

(curved neck ze, KL31 ecu, stock vaf (same exhaust) and 94 chevron again)

DRiving HC = 0.69 FAIL
Driving CO = 3.81
Driving NOX = 1.21

As you can see that was all most a pass. I then went to an "AIRCARE certified dealer" Mazda to have my car tweaked to pass. They told me that my 02's were running great but that they couldn't help me because i did not have a stock cat so they couldnt do the rest of the tests. (i think they were lazy bastards)

I was told by a member on the board that my plugs ran bad in our cars (i had the boch platinum 4 tips) so i dicided to replace the plugs and do an oil change. I always use Royal Purple 5w30 and i went with the NGK plugs that you guys recommend for a ZE ( BKR6EIX-11 )
I also then filled up with Mohawk 95 because i heard its good for aircare because of the added ethanol in their gas.

I went back to aircare and got:

Driving HC = 0.96 FAIL
Driving CO = 5.06
Driving NOx = 2.09 FAIL

So after all my hard work and spending $300 i failed worse then before

I then went to crappy tire and bought a bottle of "Emissions Tests for dummies" one of those garentee to pass things. I used it with the directions down to the T and went back to aircare (withchevron 94) and got:

Driving HC = 0.70 FAIL
Driving CO = 3.71
Driving NOx = 1.90 FAIL

And now here i am weeks later broke with no car and no insurance wondering why i failed worse after i changed my plugs and oil???

any help guys? I've read all about everyones troubles but still cant see why i would be failing then

Please Help :evil: what good is a ze paperweight :(
max kl

Post by max kl »

holly crap your runin rich. 1.0 co befor cat is ok but after cat is high
co should be .3 - .5 a high co will cause high hc and low nox
if you have a nox reading at all than when you fix the rich runnin prob you will fail for nox big time like 3000+

find how you are dumping so much fuel.

you cat is probably dead that much fuel will ruin you cat

with co under control and 1 or 2 fresh cats than you will pass

yep 2 cats that is the only way i get cars to pass with no egr valve.
that or water injection
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I'd say you need a new Cat, I've seen many Magnaflow Cat equiped ZEs that fail. You also need to check fuel pressure and injector pulse. That might be why the car is dumping so much gas.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
zoomzoommpgt

Post by zoomzoommpgt »

o0loopy0o,
So did you ever get things sorted out?
Flinch

hey get rid of the 4 prong plugs

Post by Flinch »

get rid of the 4 prong plugs get the NGK v prong and maybey some MSD wires than put int he Cannuck rubber crap for dummies run it a little bit than go get it tested.
-KL31 stock internals with curved neck intake manifold and KL36 ecu
-Turbo running 7.5psi
-FMI 3"x12"x32" all alluminum and welded, have a 7.5 PSI spring she just creeps on cold nights
-ACT 6puck sprung/96 probe tranny
-Short shifter
-HEI and MSD 6al (makes a big difference when you spend the 65$ ont he right spark plugs)
-KYB GR-2 struts with H & R springs
-Megan racing seats
-Personal 280mm stearing wheel
-Familia rear strut tower bar

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”