Mx-3 ZE On 4.11:1 Tranny = Slower?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Mx-3 ZE On 4.11:1 Tranny = Slower?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've been told recently that 2 guys (one with a ZE Mx-6 and another with a ZE MX-6 and ZE Mx-3) who dragged their cars experienced slower performance when using a 4.11:1 (Mx-6/626) tranny. I wanted to know what are the results of those who have that gear ratio.

Myself I have the ZX2 gearset with the MazdaSpeed Protege LSD waiting to get installed into my spare tranny, but now I'm kinda having seconds thought on that the outcome will be, but I know there are a few people with Mx6 trannys, and a few with the MSP LSD which apparently can only be installed in 4.11:1 gearset. Can anyone provide any information regarding their experienced with the 4.11:1 tranny?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
max kl

Post by max kl »

dang dude thats the parts i want for my kl trans.
i have run both at the track. with the k8 trans the wheel spin was inpossable to control the best i could do was 10.05 in the 8th
with the kl trans & no lsd wheel spin is controlable and the best so far 9.60 and one 9.40
the mx6 wheighs more and can use the lower gear ratio. mx3 is lighter and the taller ratio can better use the engines torque.
the sensation of speed is awsome it pulls so hard in 2nd with the kl trans.
1 more thing to consider in the 1/4 mile the k8 may have and advantage in 3rd & 4th gears when wheel spin is not a factor.
but the gasmilage and crusing rpm is nice.
i would love to buy your lsd and zx2 gear set if you decide on the k8 ratio.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

whenever my trans blows yes im getting this transmission, i located for 200 dllrs
!! w00

yes wheelspeen with stock tranny and ze is HORRIBLE! AAA
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

hgallegos915 wrote: yes wheelspeen with stock tranny and ze is HORRIBLE! AAA
I've noticed that aswell wheel hopping was worse w/ mx3 tranny. I have an MX6 tranny now, I don't know if I'm just imagining it but my mx-3 felt faster witht the mx3 tranny on. I don't know about top speed difference yet either I always seem to run out of straightaway or my girlfriend screams too much lol :lol:
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

I am willing to bet that the shorter geared mx3 tranny will make for a quicker car. This is the only forum i have ever been on where people think longer gearing is better.
max kl

Post by max kl »

this aint no honda forum.
kl s make torque
enuph torque not to need the extra mechanical advantage of lower gearing.
the lower gear ratio amplifies the torgue so much you get lotts of wheelspin
if you have a race preped car with lots of traction to he lower gear ratio would be the logical choice. but most of us have street cars.
it sux to try and pull away from a light and spinn your tires when you dont mean to.
[ hondas make little torque]
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
150 shot
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

guys, a good set of tires goes a VERY long way to controlling the spin, i have laucnhing mine down to a art and awsome tires, none or hardly any spin, nothing but pure throw you into your seat power and im rolling the stock MX trans AND i have a very nice selection of bolt ons to make a bit more power
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

max kl wrote:this aint no honda forum.
kl s make torque
if you have a race preped car with lots of traction to he lower gear ratio would be the logical choice. but most of us have street cars.
it sux to try and pull away from a light and spinn your tires when you dont mean to.
You just need to learn how to control your wheel spin, then shorter gears will be an advantage.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I at one point wanted the mx6 4:11 final drive tranny but i'm unsure right now

I know someone who used to have a MX6 with a ZE he went through something like 4 trannies. 2 of them beingProbe?mx3 and anotehr ebing mx6. he said his car was about 3-4 tensths slower with the mx6 one. He always tells me to leave the mx3 tranny in the car. I've also heard that MX-6's trap higher in the quarter because of the tranny involved less shifting since the ratios a tad longer. But i still notice all the mx6 guys end up shifting to 4th gear just like we do. So I don't know.

But i hear with a mx6 tranny 2nd gear is really fun. long and has lots of torque.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Mike, I would think that the MX3/PGT tranny would be best suited for the 1/4 mile. Then again, since you do the Auto-X thing also, I would think that it would have a negative effect in that area. Meaning more shifting required and less likely to be able to stay in the sweet spot (gear) while auto-X'ing. I believe the MX3 gearing was derived from the K8's low power output and high revving potential that helped in compensating those factors. Myself, I would love to finally get a 4.11:1 final drive in my ZE. Why?? - since there's obviously more power than the K8, I don't require that compensating factor any longer. Not to mention the gas savings and lower revs (approximately 800 rpm lower) that will will realized by switching. Of course these preferrences are based on the predominant highway miles I put on the MX since most people would spend more time on the highway than at a racetrack. I'd rather see myself "zooming" along the highway in the 3000 rpm band rather than the 4000rpm band that I'm usually in. Saves gas, wear and tear on the engine/tranny and of course is a little quieter. Of course it all comes down to preferrences doesn't it.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, actually some of the fast draggers complain that the Mx-3 gearing is too short...that if you go any faster you need 5th gear, even right now I redline in 4th at the end of the strip. You'd think that with the slightly longer gearing you' would stay in the powerband longer, getting more pull and staying away from the overdrive (5th) gear would be a good thing.

For AutoX, it's possible but i'll have to see. But right now I can do the course easilly in mostly 2nd gear (using 3rd on long streatches) and constantly spin the tires. I was talking to a guy who's laregly into it with a Civic and he said that an LSD will make a huge difference for AutoX. The LSD may be more beneficial, and even the longer gearing could mean, pending the course layout, I stay more in 2nd and use 3rd less.

I think it would also have to do with driving style as well.

For me it's hard to say, but you do make a good point there John with the gearing designed for the K8. As with everything about this car, it's a learning experience couple with alot of trial-and-error mods. I can't make a definitely conclusion until i try it myself.n I'll just have to do it, put some milleage on it and see.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
max kl

Post by max kl »

mxmaz wrote:
max kl wrote:this aint no honda forum.
kl s make torque
You just need to learn how to control your wheel spin, then shorter gears will be an advantage.
o do i.... negitive captan but thanks for tryin
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

max kl wrote:
o do i.... negitive captan but thanks for tryin
You are contradicting yourself here. You are the one who said you spin through first gear without trying. That doesnt sound like you got your wheel spin under control to me. There are better ways to get traction rather then downgrading your tranny.
max kl

Post by max kl »

how much nos have you used? or turbo?
have you experinced 250+ wheel hp?
sorry i assume peaple read the bottom of the post.

but yes even with out nos the wheelspin was horrable. and i think it sux to lanch at idle and not hit wot till 3rd gear.

the Kumho Ecsta 711 are beter than the bfg ta radials i had before
kumo v710 the are auto cross tires but hook well i cant wait to get to the track
next bfg gforce drag radials
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

What bottom line? anyways........
max kl wrote: it sux to try and pull away from a light and spinn your tires when you dont mean to.
Dont be mad, you are the one who said it.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”