1.6 motor with a 1.8 liter head.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jr8ucsc

1.6 motor with a 1.8 liter head.

Post by jr8ucsc »

I am rebuilding my 4 cylinder engine. By the way I just bought this car used. Well any way I am rebuilding it and putting the head back together I noiced the head did not match what the Hanes book showed to be 1.6 but it showed the head to be 1.8. One side does not hace the springs to push the rocker arms and the same side is doubled compared to the other side that is singled. Is it possible that this is a 1.6 liter head or as I hope the engine is actualy a 1.8 sohc cam engine. The car is a 1993 and it shows on the hood to be 1.6. Is there any way to fing out on the engine itself?????
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

are there numbers on the block? Maybe you can contact mazda with the block numbers.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
torpedan

Re: 1.6 motor with a 1.8 liter head.

Post by torpedan »

jr8ucsc wrote:I am rebuilding my 4 cylinder engine. By the way I just bought this car used. Well any way I am rebuilding it and putting the head back together I noiced the head did not match what the Hanes book showed to be 1.6 but it showed the head to be 1.8. One side does not hace the springs to push the rocker arms and the same side is doubled compared to the other side that is singled. Is it possible that this is a 1.6 liter head or as I hope the engine is actualy a 1.8 sohc cam engine. The car is a 1993 and it shows on the hood to be 1.6. Is there any way to fing out on the engine itself?????
It would be easy to tell you what you have if you could post a picture of the engine. Any numbers off the block and head would help though, just a picture is the easiest way to do it.

1.6l and 1.8ls have a diffrent block length so the head can not be swapped between the two.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

yeah that is for sure impossible
jr8ucsc

picture

Post by jr8ucsc »

you can go to http://jrodriquez.spaces.live.com to see pictures of the engine. I dont know how to post them here. thanks for all the help from everyone!!!!!!!!
Limegreen mx-3

Re: picture

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

jr8ucsc wrote:you can go to to see pictures of the engine. I dont know how to post them here. thanks for all the help from everyone!!!!!!!!

judgeing form the pic the block itself looks like a 1.6 sohc block and a 1.6 sohc head. if it was a 1.8 it would have BP stamp on the block even the 1.8 sohc have the BP stamp on the block itself. the S7 is stamp on my 1.6 sohc.

TX where in tx u located in jr8ucsc
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
torpedan

Re: picture

Post by torpedan »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:
jr8ucsc wrote:you can go to to see pictures of the engine. I dont know how to post them here. thanks for all the help from everyone!!!!!!!!

judgeing form the pic the block itself looks like a 1.6 sohc block and a 1.6 sohc head. if it was a 1.8 it would have BP stamp on the block even the 1.8 sohc have the BP stamp on the block itself. the S7 is stamp on my 1.6 sohc.

TX where in tx u located in jr8ucsc

Yupppeerrrrs.

Yeah where in texas? Anywhere in DFDub by chance? :)
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
jr8ucsc

1.6 motor

Post by jr8ucsc »

I am from the big city of Pecos TX. I got the car though from fort worth. thanks for the information. My hanes book showed the head to be a 1.8 but I was wishful thinking
thanks again.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”