whats the reason for my tranny fluid leak ?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JWMX3

whats the reason for my tranny fluid leak ?

Post by JWMX3 »

I have some gear oil dripping out where the drivers side CV meets the tranny

its a Brand new oil seal... i put fluid around it with my finger before i slid the axle in, axle is brand new and clicked in there all the way

How the **** is it leaking :evil: im losing valuable redline here :(
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

:bump:

:dunno:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm they didnt do it right? shaft teeth are busted? go abck to where they did it..unless u did it urself.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Just out of curiosity.. did you try sliding the seal down over the axle prior to installing the seal? Basically just checking to see if you got the right seal is all.. I had an issue similar on my Subaru.. turned out the parts store gave me seals for the 6 Cyl AWD version and while they fit.. the axle opening was slightly bigger than the axles that my 4 Cyl FWD version used.
Hope that helps.

Tunes67
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Tunes67 wrote:Just out of curiosity.. did you try sliding the seal down over the axle prior to installing the seal? Basically just checking to see if you got the right seal is all.. I had an issue similar on my Subaru.. turned out the parts store gave me seals for the 6 Cyl AWD version and while they fit.. the axle opening was slightly bigger than the axles that my 4 Cyl FWD version used.
Hope that helps.

Tunes67
i never did slide the sseal down the axle.... but im sure its right because i did both sides and the pass side isnt leaking, plus i bought them from mazda so im sure they are the correct seals

The only thing i can think of is i damaged the seal while putting the axle in but that seems like something i would of noticed myself doing :roll:

i guess i will have to remove the axle again :cry:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Stock axles right? Same size on both sides (diameter size) ? I am not familiar enough to give you specifics.. just something to check :? And just cause the mazda dealer gave them to you doesnt mean they are correct ;) Not to knock dealerships.. but I have seen them (not just mazda) make more than their share of mistakes. ;) Best of luck man.. and post back to let us know how it goes :)

Tunes67
good_glory

Post by good_glory »

:bump:

anyone? he's almost done!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Mazda does make mistakes you know, I'd bet on a wrong part over you messing it up intalling the axle. The seals are pretty tough. You can mess them up while installing them if you don't use a large socket or seal setting tool to make sure you set it evenly.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

I popped the seal out and it had about a half centimeter rip in it :roll: so its replaced, it was the correct seal though

ps- I use a piece of ABS plumbing pipe to set the seals, works good :idea:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Good to hear you got it taken care of :2thumbsup:

Tunes67
dukem2

Post by dukem2 »

i have the same problem. seal is 100% undamaged. its just a slight drip.
KL-ZE 1993 MX-3 GS, lightweight flywheel, cone filter. 155 whp, 160 wheel torque
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

dukem2 wrote:i have the same problem. seal is 100% undamaged. its just a slight drip.
Same with me. Replaced the seal right away but still had a tiny drip. Fluid doesnt' seem to have any significant loss so I just left it and make sure to check every oil change. Am I just ignoring a potentially bigger problem here?
'93 GS, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ECU, B&M STS, complete SRD shifter bushings, mx-6 clutch, ZX2 struts, Apex springs... and building...
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

did you guys coat the lip of the new seal with oil before you stuck the axle in ?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Ditto, you have to coat the seal or it will not make a good seal when you place it. Also, make sure it is completely set into the hole and that you put a tad of oil on the axle when you slide it back in. The axle shouldn't tear the seal, but it doesn't hurt to give it a bit extra lube to ensure it slides in smoothly.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

Yes, it was coated lightly.
'93 GS, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ECU, B&M STS, complete SRD shifter bushings, mx-6 clutch, ZX2 struts, Apex springs... and building...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”