K8 Temperature

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Steve_SK

K8 Temperature

Post by Steve_SK »

Temperature gauge shows me temp of my engine somewhere in 3/4 of the scale. I am used to have temperature a little below 1/2 of the scale on my other Mazda's. Is it normal or is there something wrong with my cooling system?
max kl

Post by max kl »

well yes you are correct most mazda coolant gauges read 1/2 mark is normal temp.
ither you engine is running alittle hot. or your gauge is in accurate.
if you have an infered temp gun than you can test your gauge.
im pretty shure 1/2 mark is around 200f.
if you dont than replace the temp sender if your gauge reards normal than your done if your gauge reads the same than you must have a efecincey problem with you cooling system.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

If it runs over 1/2 way, you deffinatley have an issue. Start with the thermostat, its a cheap starting point. Id check your coolant level 1st.
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

It is 1993 MX-3, I have another Mazda from 1993 - 626, I had the same problem, I exchanged old thermostat, get new Antifreeze in and the temperature is the same. I can notice some coolant leaking of the radiator, is it possible due to lower pressure in cooling circuit (fault radiator) the temperature is higher? Maybe water pump damage?

According to Mazda Owner's Manual, the range from the first white line to the second white line is normal operating temperature of the engine, but I am used to read 1/2 of the scale. I really don't know what to do.. :(

Seems like I bought another wreck.. :(
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Max kl: What and where is temp sender? The engine runs good, fan operates after very long stay on one place when idling. I also have white smoke, just a little, maybe because catalyst is out (former owner did this, I am going to put it there).
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

If you have already replaced the temp censors, I would tend to think you need a new water pump. The radiator shouldn't affect it unless it is a big leak. If you are able to check the engine temp with something else, I would also recommend that before messing with the water pump. If the radiator just has a small leak, it is really going to be more of an annoyance (Unless you let it run dry) than a major problem. I had a leaky radiator on one of my MX-3s and I just decided to replace it.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

I haven't replaced anything yet. Is it possible to check the real temperature somehow? Is it possible to read the values via some connector or something? Thank you.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

an over heating car can be caused from air in the system, faulty tstat, faulty water pump, old sludged coolant, blown hg, clogged radiator. if its not really over heating then the temp sensor, or gauge may be messed up.

if your water pump failed normally it would be pissing water from the water pump seals. if you notice a leak,that leak could be letting air into your cooling system which doesnt help coolant it circulate.

u can tell if your car is really overheating by idling it with the radiator cap off and
1 see if the coolant boils over after a while
2 feel the hot and cold hoses to see if the coolant is circulating.

point is mx3 over heating may or may not be the same reason your 626 over heat. dont assume that what is wrong with your 626 is the same issue as your mx3 cuz several things can cause the same issue. the gauge or temp sensor is not a common problem for either and you were probably just unlucky with your 626.
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

There's no leak from water pump. I will try to exchange coolant (probably it was never changed in the past) and pressure the cooling circuit.. Hope it will help. :roll:
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

if you are unsure if the tstat is your problem refill the system with reverse osmosis or distilled water and test it out.

if it is ok after the tstat change drain like a gallon of water and fill it up with coolant, put the cap back on and call it a day
max kl

Post by max kl »

there are 3 temp sensors all located by the radiator cap on the pass middle of the engine. the small 1 wire sensor with black connector. is for the temp gauge
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
150 shot
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

I took picture today of my temperature gauge, what do you think, is it OK or high temp?

v4NDALu

Post by v4NDALu »

my normal temprature is there :?
92' mazda mx3 k8 v6
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

My gauge needle goes a little down (1 mm) when driving outside my town, I have a leak from radiator, but when I pressured the cooling system (1 bar), there was no leak.. It is strange.. I am going to buy a new radiator tomorrow and I will also exchange thermostat. I will see. And, of course, I will buy a new coolant. I am also thinking about cleaning the cooling circuit with special cleaner (BG Care, I think).. Hope it will help to lower the temperature a little.
max kl

Post by max kl »

yes dude thats a pic of a temp gauge above the middle mark. read above posts. all the info you need to diagnos problem there for you. read posts.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”