Body quarter panel blues

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Body quarter panel blues

Post by SuperK »

OK, I don't know where is the correct location to list this, but the drivers side quarter panel has a nasty problem.

apparently, the quarter panel was damaged, and someone tried to "fix" it the piss poor way. Now the paint is cracking and blossoming like flowers randomly, and rusting on the bottom.

All the bondo and primer locations are very evident

I took it to a shop to see what would have to be done, they said it'd have to be ground down again, then smoothed out, then repainted. For the quarter panel alone they said it might cost anywhere around 400 and up.

makes me sad panda.

Is it easy to just replace the damned quarter panel? it looks like a pain in the arse to try and do, but holy crap, 400 bucks...
Then again, it might cost someone that much just to get the darned panel off....

what do you guys think? :( I want my panel pretty again...
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

When they said "and Up" what they really meant to say was "I really dont know so here is a number, although I imagine its not right." To have the quater panel replaced on my 94 it cost 2400 USD. They have to cut the panel off the car and weld a new one on. Its part of the Unibody.

Pending how the damge is though it might not need to be replaced but either way I would not expect it to be cheap. The owner might have tried to cover up damage that a reputable shop would not have tried to repair in that method.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

you trashed my hopes and dreams with one single post :(
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Eric Hooper

Post by Eric Hooper »

Check your gaps... are they even? This is very important because if they look factory their MIGHT be hope for your guarter panel. If everything looks right the next part is the scary part... to find out how bad it is you will have to grind it down to bare metal and get rid of the rust. If you're lucky the person managed to get behind the bend with a hammer and take it out, but if you're unlucky the used one of the pullers you get from the auto store with a screw on it.

I will say that if they can do it for $400 and make it look good and last you're getting a great deal. I won't go farther than that since I work in a body shop and will just get angry at people for complaining about the prices and their really is no need for me to do that.

Something that would help me help you is if you took a close-up of the dent(with good light)... might be able to tell you some of what's happening. By the way, if you attempt to fix it yourself don't use the Bondo from Walmart, you'll have to go to a specialy paint shop and pick up some premium grade filler which often goes for about $40 a gallon. Oh, and if you can't get behind the dent to fix it properly you might have to pick up a stud gun... they'll run you about $400 :D
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

400 bucks painted! your being handed a deal
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Pictures? And keep us updated. I got a bump in my quarter and i've been putting it off cause I know I wont like the price. I'm curious to see how much you pay.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Believe me guys, I don't think ANY of you have this problem... It's pretty nasty :(

here we go, though... 56k BEWARE!

Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Oh, by the way, the white on the rust is just car wax. that nasty brown is where no wax got on it.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Wow.. :shock: uhh... that's weird.

Shouldn't be too bad tho. It's not a massive dent or anything, just a lot of paint/filler to remove and replace.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I told you it was wierd!

I'm banking the bondo they used was el cheapo kind, and it didn't stick to the metal. Moisture got behind it somehow and worked it's magic.

It's only on that portion of the quarter panel. The door, I have a replacement coming in, I'm actually buying it from a forum member (TY!)
Hopefully, the body shop that does the work on my car knows what they're doing :(
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You have been a victim of a hack job. No self respecting body man would ever do that. Grind it all off and see what you have.. post pics when you get it done.. the sooner the better or its just going to rust worse and possibly in places you cant even see. :(

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Eric Hooper

Post by Eric Hooper »

Hmm... to me that looks like that could be mean nasty(but to clarify... I'm seeing little white streaks all lover the quarter. Is that just light playing with me or does the whole quarter panel look like it's about to rupture?).

Either way, I'd be suprised if paint alone was under $400. You should be blending into the hatch, you obviousely have the door, they probably would be nice to you and not make you go into the fender though. Now, that means that they will have to take at minimum from what I'm seeing the door apart and the bumper/taillights off. The door and fender will be getting color. The whole door and quarter will get clear-coated(they will probably burn the clearn in on the post. If they do blend into the hatch they will probably only clear-coat part of it and burn in at strategic points. Now, what is burning in and why do they only do it sometimes? It is when they blend new clear coat into the old clear coat and they usually only do this on pillars. This is because a burn in is actually somewhat noticeable in that it has somewhat of a hazy glow on it which usually isn't that bad... unless you try to burn in on a highly noticeable spot that's in the middle of the panel.

I have some good news for you though, it looks like you could get away with doing the body-work yourself. The best way to fix it would probably be to grind away everything and straighten it out better, BUT; it appears your door gapsa are even so you could just grind everything done and put on new filler.

Now, remember that you can screw this up easily...
1)Use a grinder to take off the paint, for good adhesion to the metal filler likes and 80 grit sand mark(you see... you're current problem is probably due to insufficient prep)

2)Feather-edge where you stop grind with 120 grit(I use a D.A., but I'm guessing you don't have that and that would be $300 so you will have to do it by hand

3) Wash the surface with a cleaner(our shop uses foamy window cleaner but I would play it safe and just use water since I don't know the brand and know that some things don't play well with filler. Filler does aborb liquid you know?

4) Use quality filler such as Evercoat(available from the local auto paint shop most likely. I'm looking at prices for it and through Eastwood ( http://www.eastwood.com ) it's $40 for their Rage Xtreme line.

5) This may seem basic but you'd be surprised. The mixing board you use does make a difference! Don't use cardboard since some may be treated with chemicals that will hurt the filler. You will want to either use plastic, glass, stainless steel, or specially designed quick mix paper boards. Remember to get proper spreaders while you're getting the bondo, they're only $5 or so for a pack.

6) When mixing their is a better way to do it, but I can't think of how to describe it. Basically, make sure that their are no streaks because filler with no hardener does, in fact, never harden. Also remember to squeaze out in circles and then squeaze a line of hardener down the middle to get close to the right ratio(luckily filler's not to picky, most you just get more or less work time depending on how you mix it.

7) Apply filler with spreaders(yeah.. that's easy to get...). Now, applying thin coats will yield better results(less pin-holes and such), but you can blob it on their pretty think with no real issues. At the very least your first coat should be thin because you need to apply some pressure to squeaze it into the scratches. Don't get filler in the jams, or else you might have to sand them. You don't want the paint shop to charge you for jamming your car I assume...
To clean your spreader you will want solvent which is also probably available from the paint shop(funny thing is I have never had to buy it. School bought it for me while I was in class and now the body shop buys it so I can't really give you an estimate on price).

8)you will probably want to sanding blocks, one should be a six inch and the other one a 12 inch. Start sanding your work with 80 grit sandpaper. When everything seem even start with 120. you may have to re-apply filler several or more times, don't feel bad. Getting things flat is an aquired talent that, honestly; many body-men can't get perfect either.

9) When everything's done you should blow air onto the filler (I use 90 PSI from an air hose but I don't know what you would do). Anyway, your pinholes will start showing up and you should fix those because the painter will like you a whole lot better.

10) Everything straight? Everything feather-edged? Bring it to a paint shop and ask them how much they'd want for a paint job and to check over your body-work. Now, $400 still would seem cheap for a paint job(unless it's Macco :roll: ) but it should be a lot cheaper that what it would be for the shop to fix all that work

Now, I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I'm also sure that I've got a lot of typos in this post but I've got to do something and will edit it later. Sorry!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Eric Hooper wrote:Hmm... to me that looks like that could be mean nasty(but to clarify... I'm seeing little white streaks all lover the quarter. Is that just light playing with me or does the whole quarter panel look like it's about to rupture?).

You, sir, completely suck at encouragement.

... yes, it's pretty much what you just said. I've got some more pictures to post here in a few minutes..

... YOu said grind down the panel to the metal... Can I just peel it to bare metal? I mean, it's working out so far, just take your fingernail, grab a corner and start peeling. Presto! Paint/bondo comes right off to the metal! What? That's not good you say!? OF COURSE IT'S NOT GOOD!

:( :( :( This makes me a sad panda for sure. Pictures to come.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

here are the updated images:

I've identified the rear bumper has been replaced.
The gas door release doesn't work, but the paint is thin, and there's no bondo crap below the door. Above it is a different story, though. I'ts "blossoming" up there, too.

My concern is... you see how thick that bondo is down below there? that scares me.

I once tried to paint my laptop not too long ago... Lets just say painting is not my forte. I've got to have a professional deal with this. The best I can do is grab some sandpaper and start scratching on it.

I'm thinking I'll get it primed and ready for paint, then get the whole car painted a color I want when I have the extra monies.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I just got an estimate. The guy knew exactly what was wrong. the hardener wasn't mixed correctly with the filler. He pointed all the issues with the panel out to me. He impressed me, I like being impressed.

to get the panel stripped, and filler re-applied and primed (no paint) is 200 bucks. It's not bad, I say! Course, I'm going to have to pull out another over 1.5 grand for a whole car paint job on my baby, I'm not ready for that yet :(
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”