Why would the Oil disappear?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Why would the Oil disappear?

Post by SuperK »

OK, so I know the subject sounds like I'm COMPLAINING about disappearing oil... in fact, I'm not.
I bought my car in May 06. Did the usual first-time round tune up, changed the oil, put in my precious Lucas Oil Stabalizer...
he told me he JUST replaced the spark plugs... but HIS spark plugs aren't good enough, I had to get my OWN. (NGK V-whateverthey'recalled platinums)

OK OK, so first I got sucked into that whole 4x Bosch BS and suffered greatly, but I'm not going to mention that...

anyways, so I pull the plugs off #1 & 2, nice and clean w/crappy cheap plugs. #3 & 4 however, were swimming in a puddle of oil. I changed them anyways and put a frown on (had no money to do anything about it) and drove the car around for a few hundred miles.

However, when I switched from Bosch to NGK's after a few hundred miles, the oil was gone! Wait, it was gone, you said? Yes! nice and dry.

I really want to know why it appeared/disappeared like so, though, and hopefully advice on how to prevent this from happening again... I read somewhere about installing a filter on the intake or something like that somewhere? but I'm a complete idiot, and haven't much of a clue of what it was talking about...

so, if you wise people could educate yet another idiot, I'd be happy :D
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Your valve cover gasket is leaking, you didnt put enough miles on your car yet to get the buildup back. It will return given enough time.

Valve cover gaskets are fairly easy to do and usually are not that exspensive as well, just be sure you get a gasket kit with the plug seals as well. If your a do it yourselfer that is, i also suggest buying some form of manual to give overall advice for your fixing adventures as well.

Its also very easy to get sucked up into the spark plug hype, i personally recomed you just follow the manufacturer recomended plug that they offer. Going to a platinum or a +4 or some other high dollar uber platiunum titanium uber godl ike plug is usually a waste and can even net a result loss in power. I got best results of of NGK coppers, a plug that costs about 1.10 a pop.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Well, if the oil was there because the gasket is leaking, why is it not still there?

I've done 3 oil changes since my discovery.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

There is the chance that the person was a moron and spilled it there, there is also the chance you are not running the same viscosity of oil he did which could slow or even stop the leak.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

hey id think that either he poured some in there by accident or he used synthetic oil after the car had higher mileage and caused the leak.So if u put in regular oil that could be y it stopped. i heard that synthetic oil isnt all its cracked up to be cause when my buddy got his truck motor back, from getting rebuilt the 3 month warranty was void if he used synthetic oil. as the guy said that it does not lubricate the bearings as well due to its thinness. which wouldnt be good at all if it was true. also my buddy with a b16 turbo civic ran synthetic oil for a while but it was burning way way to much he switched to regular motor oil and it stopped burning oil. so that could explain ur leak stopping since ur oil change cause if ur valve cover gasket was gone it would definatly be leaking by now if not, or it never would of stopped leaking. srry bout the punctuation aas i always get hassled for it so im just stating i know so no one else has to point it out to me...lol
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

the guy who owned it last didn't change his oil, he sent it to a exxon to be changed.

wasn't synthetic, either

it's alright that your punctuation completely sucks, as long as you don't type in caps. ;)
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”