How to unscrew plastic?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Tropical Emerald 1993

How to unscrew plastic?

Post by Tropical Emerald 1993 »

I need to get behind gauges to check the speedo cable. I've checked out the faq and unscrewed everything around but it won't go down.

The plastic around gauges won't go down because the plastic around the wheel is holding it. Plastic around wheel won't go down because of the wheel. Also the whole plastic below won't go down since it's held by plastic above (from the doors side).

Any idea on this? I didn't expect this to be that difficult.
Julz

Post by Julz »

Not triying to be funny, but did you unscrew all of the screws including the 3 that are up under the dash?
AAAAaaannnnddd Action!
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

there are 3 srews on top of the gauge hood and two behind the rubber right where the steering cover hits on the bottom of the gauge hood, but as far as i ever seen there is no speedo cable going to the gauge cluster.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Dali wrote: but as far as i ever seen there is no speedo cable going to the gauge cluster.

Umm YES there is.

The ONLY way to undo the Speedo Cable & therefore remove the cluster is to undo it where it goes into the transmission. This will allow you enough slack to pull the cluster out and undo the speedo cable at the rear of the cluster.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Thats strange I have never seen one, I may be looking in the wrong place, this is not specific to 4cyl's is it?
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

92-93 4-cylinder models only.

All years of the GS and the 94+ RS has electronic speedometers.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Ahh that makes sense, I thought both my mx's were missing somehting for a min lol. Yea I had a old 626 and you could not pull out hte guages, you gotta undo it from the tranny as described. PITA
Tropical Emerald 1993

Dali wrote:two behind the rubber right where the steering cover hits on the bottom of the gauge hood
yes I'm having trouble with these two because I can't get down the steering cover. I've unscrewed all but still won't go down :evil:
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

There are 4 screws underneath. You also have to take the ring out that goes around the ignition. The you can carelfullt pull it apart as there is tiny little clips that losely hold it. Make sure you also move the tilt handle down and check to make sure all 4 screws are out.
Tropical Emerald 1993

solo_ryder wrote:Make sure you also move the tilt handle down and check to make sure all 4 screws are out.
Oh yes, now that I've lowered the wheel I can get ot off. Thanks.

Return to “Appearance”