fans always on.....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
GreenMachine

fans always on.....

Post by GreenMachine »

Ok my search diddnt turn me up the results I needed so hear I am. I have a ze that came with the 3 coolant sensors on it so the fans wont always stay on. I am also running the probinator ecu. The drivers side fan is constantly running! do I have to actually use the k8 filler neck even though the ze neck has three sensors on it?? an help would be appriciated.

-CHris
'92 GS-no lip. Klze. no cat. phenolic spacers. no power steering. no a/c. hei mod. poly filled mounts. probinator chip. loud exhaust. b&m shifter. tokico struts. suspension tech springs. axxis 17 in rims.
'86 mr2-stock and still hauls a-- in curves.
'05 Gsxr-50 tooth stunt bike
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I don't think so. You probably have a bad sensor or a bad connection between the coolant senor and the plug. Check for worn or dirty contacts, clean them with some sand paper or elec parts cleaner and see if it stops. Make sure your AC button isn't on and make sure the car is cool and shouldn't have the coolant fan running.
If all that fails ask Probinator if he knows is the fan is supposed to run all the time with his set-up.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine »

About the a/c switch, i removed the entire a/c system and left the plug just dangeling in the engine bay. None of the lines are in there any more. would this have an effect on the fans staying on??
'92 GS-no lip. Klze. no cat. phenolic spacers. no power steering. no a/c. hei mod. poly filled mounts. probinator chip. loud exhaust. b&m shifter. tokico struts. suspension tech springs. axxis 17 in rims.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Make sure your ac switch is not pressed. Make sure your coolant temp sensor is on.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: fans always on.....

Post by jschrauwen »

GreenMachine wrote:Ok my search diddnt turn me up the results I needed so hear I am. I have a ze that came with the 3 coolant sensors on it so the fans wont always stay on. I am also running the probinator ecu. The drivers side fan is constantly running! do I have to actually use the k8 filler neck even though the ze neck has three sensors on it?? an help would be appriciated.
-CHris
Chris, no mention that you consulted the online shop manual. I direct your attention to E2-011. Dot that test. Your fan will not come on if the thermosensors are inoperable. Your fine with the ZE coolant sensors that you have. Ensure the right colour coded sensors are in the right spots as with their respective colour coded connectors. Ensure connections are clean. Consult the online manual for the procedure to test those sensors. Again I don't believe it's your thermosensors but rather the TPS setting. A quick way to verify is to do the TEN / Grd jump in the diag box and turn the key to ACC only. If the fan comes on immediately, your TPS is out of adjustment and requires to be recalibrated. If it doesn't come on when the key is turned to ACC, slightly rotate the throttle cam/linkage and at a point just off from idle is where the drivers side fan should kick in.
If it does need a TPS adjust, refer to my tps procedure in the FAQ's. I'd also ensure that the fan relay itself hasn't been fried closed.
Break out the multi-meter .......

John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine »

Ok so I used the paperclip trick in the diagnostic box and the fans kick on only when throttle is applied. So my tps is within spec correct? and my thermosensors should bo ok? tested the fan relay according to the online manual and it shows proper continuity where need be. what else could be the culprit here?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

you know... thinking about it... which IS the coolant sensor? there are two.. the dark green one and light green one. I have the dark green one off because I didnt drill the hole on the ze. The fans are not on all the time. I had to hard wire fan in order to keep engine at right temp.. was going to do the coolant sensor mod but i forgot which of the two is the coolant sensor. Pulled codes and did not get code for that sensor (using klde and k8 ecu) So i guess... light green is coolant sensor?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”