bad clutches?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jricoctg

bad clutches?

Post by jricoctg »

I've had my 1.6L 4 banger mx-3 for about a month. it came used on the stock clutch. this is my first manual car so in the process of teaching myself stick, i blew the first clutch. my dad is a tech and he said i was either riding the clutch or slipping it going into first to much. i knew i wasnt riding the clutch cuz im not a moron and i know it bad for the car. so i tried revving the engine up less while engaging the clutch. now i rev it up to somewhere under 1500 rpm which is a good improvement over be4. so it ihnk im improving. but the past two days, my 1 to 2 shift has been a little sloppy. ive had it down pat be4 so i didnt know why. then all of a sudden my idle to 1 shift was sloppy. the grab point of the clutch is noticble higher than it was 2 days ago. ive had this brand new clutch in the car for 3 weeks. its either normal clutch wear and im being paranoid of burning another clutch, or the stock mx-3 clutch is absolutly terrible. any suggestions? thanks
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

did you break in the clutch properly, like you said it engages higher now, did you replace the master or slave? could just need adjustment and ya mx3 stock clutches suck im still on my stock one but its about getting there to die. slips a ton now
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
jricoctg

Post by jricoctg »

it doesnt slip from what i can tell yet. just all of a sudden withing one day the grab point is at least an inch higher. i was wondering why i was driving sloppy all day. it cant be my driving. if i was driving bad enough to burn a clutch in 3 weeks it would be alot more obvious. i dont dump the clutch ever, but there are alot of hills. but seriously, unless someone was TRYING to burn a clutch in 3 weeks, could u even do it. just by some little flaw in the driving technique?
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well its either the adjustment has been messed up, a slave or a master clyinder gone bad. or could just bleed the clutch line maybe have some air left in there. or it was put in wrong but i highly doubt that
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

oh forgot to mention did you replace everything in the clutch kit? ex: throwout bearing or release bearing? or what about the rear main seal...if you didnt could of been leaking oil onto the facing causing it to slip
jricoctg

Post by jricoctg »

i couldnt tell u. i was working when my dad replaced it. in another forum a guy told me to put it in 3rd and drop the clutch, and if it stalls then the clutch is still good. it stalled good. how does that prove if the clutch is bad.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

that basically means that the clutch still grabs good enough to work. if it wasnt it would slowly die and take forever it was totally out...just so you know i think there is a break in period where your supposed to go easy on it to settle it in but my dad disagrees. ya to burn a clutch in 3 weeks is pretty tough. hmm you said it feels like it releases a little later right? is it always releasing at the same point? if it has to do with that im thinking a master or a slave clyinder.
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

No fluid.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”