Hey guys... Got a sick DOHC

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
freyguy_412

Hey guys... Got a sick DOHC

Post by freyguy_412 »

It's been a while since I've posted here. Lots of issues that lead to my leaving, but I won't bore you with the details. I've been working on restoring my car to stock: getting rid of the lowering kit, finishing the back interior of my car after I removed everything for weight reduction (unfortunatly threw away all the pieces I removed... :roll: ) That sort of thing. When I'm done, it will be completely stock except for the sound system, the rear compartment, and an intake and exhaust.

But, in this process, my baby has developed a bit of a cough or illness. She doesn't like to fire up when she's cold. She's harder to start in the morning (air temp around 60F) but she does the same thing after sitting all day at work, or if she's been sitting for a few hours.. just not quite as bad as in morning. She starts up right away, but when it goes from fast idle to slow idle, she stutters and dies. I have to keep my foot lightly on the gas to keep her running, and after she warms for a few minutes, she'll run on her own.

Possibly related, but not sure, she's leaning out at around 3500 rpm before going rich around 4300-4500 rpm. And by leaning out, I mean my little A/F guage is pegged off the scale into the red. When it comes back and goes rich, it's not as far rich as it used to be consistantly. When she goes lean, it's far enough that you fall forward in your seat with power loss, and she just doesn't pick up and go like she used too.

I've checked the ECU for trouble codes and come up nothing. No engine light while running, temp guage is fine, and what not. Only think that changed was when I got new tires, they gave me a complementry oil change. I'd been using Castrol's synthetic blend, and they put it on a Full Synthetic, which I hadn't done myself because I'm paranoid about the 124000 miles on it. Did that do anything you think?

Any ideas? I'm going to start by replacing the ISC valve and maybe the airflow if I can find one decently priced. Please help, MX-3 Gods!!!
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

My gut says its fuel delivery related.. like maybe your fuel pressure regulator is malfunctioning. Maybe a weak fuel pump? Try turning your key like your starting it.. just for a second.. just long enough for the starter to engage.. then let go of the key. Wait 10-15 seconds then try starting it.. this will give the fuel pump time to pressurize the system before actually starting up. (The crank has to turn slightly so that sensors will tell the fuel pump to fire up.)

Post back with your results :) Hope this helps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

May be a full tune up - plugs, wires, cap, rotors etc might help. A couple of bottles of fuel injector cleaner and some carb cleaner on the intake might help too.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Thanks for the idea Tunes67. I tried just tapping the starter, as quickly as I could, and then waiting the ten seconds or so before cranking it over fully. No change.

For the tune up, I had never heard of a car acting this way when it needed one. Not to argue, but the lean out is at a consistant rpm through every shift, and the cold weather failure goes away before it reaches full operating temps. But it will be on my list for sure.

A buddy of mine thought maybe fuel filter? And is there any way to test the fuel pressure regulator?

Thanks for your guys' help so far!
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”