Catalytic Converter ?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MazdaNoob123

Catalytic Converter ?

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Well im trying to sqeeze more horsepower out of my K8, (Dont Say KL-ZE swap lol)

anyway i was wondering what would be involved in eliminating the cat. converter

And the biggest question what would i see from that ?
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

Well you cut it out and weld or clamp a piece of straight pipe in there...you might see 2 or 3 whp from the switch and from what I hear better gas mileage... the downside...you'll be louder and not able to be inspected
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine »

I think there is a guy on ebay who was selling straight pipes for 30 bucks or something. You might notice a bit better gas milage, espically if your currrent cat is clogged, power isnt really noticable, maybe a little more top end, but the most noticable is the volume. You will hear your car for daaaaays. I kinda like the noise but it is really really loud.
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

k yea my main question in it (which is answered now) was if there was a second o2 sensor in it, or after it
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Depends where you are. But in Ontario if a cop see's you have no cat its a $300 fine. So watch out. Best bet is to just get a High flow cat and keep it legal.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Flinch

Post by Flinch »

take your CAT out rip everyting out of it and put it back in then the cops cant do d--- all.
-KL31 stock internals with curved neck intake manifold and KL36 ecu
-Turbo running 7.5psi
-FMI 3"x12"x32" all alluminum and welded, have a 7.5 PSI spring she just creeps on cold nights
-ACT 6puck sprung/96 probe tranny
-Short shifter
-HEI and MSD 6al (makes a big difference when you spend the 65$ ont he right spark plugs)
-KYB GR-2 struts with H & R springs
-Megan racing seats
-Personal 280mm stearing wheel
-Familia rear strut tower bar
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

or bribe the inspentcion terminal like i do.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

There was an article in one of my car magazines a month or two ago comparing horsepoer from stock cat, high flow cat, or test pipe. The test pipe only made one horsepower over high flow cat. It was a joke. Magnaflow cats are only $60 on eBay. In this instance, it doesn't make any sense to not keep it legal.
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

well i live in washington state, they dont test emissions here so, instead of pay for a new one why not just take it off :D.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

MazdaNoob123 wrote:well i live in washington state, they dont test emissions here so, instead of pay for a new one why not just take it off :D.
There may not be emmions by law there needs to be a cat on the car.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

mx3autozam wrote:
MazdaNoob123 wrote:well i live in washington state, they dont test emissions here so, instead of pay for a new one why not just take it off :D.
There may not be emmions by law there needs to be a cat on the car.
Yep. Even though they don't 'test', if your car doesn't have a catalytic converter, a cop can bust your balls over it.
Flinch

Post by Flinch »

trust me man cops dont just pull you over cuz you dont have a cat it might be because you have a massive cannon on the back of your car with no resonators like the rest of the honda F@#$ nation. Cops cant tell if you have a cat or not just by the way your car sounds, there are to many diferent typs of exhausts and muffler and so on but if the cop was real good he could smeel the diference in the octain. I got a few cops in the family and ive asked them numerouse times about it and they say not to worry about it the only way they would try to ding you for something like that is if you were being an a--hole and they wanted to ding you for everyhting they could. Its up to you man come stated/provinces have manditory checks but if there isnt dont wast your money on a cat.
-KL31 stock internals with curved neck intake manifold and KL36 ecu
-Turbo running 7.5psi
-FMI 3"x12"x32" all alluminum and welded, have a 7.5 PSI spring she just creeps on cold nights
-ACT 6puck sprung/96 probe tranny
-Short shifter
-HEI and MSD 6al (makes a big difference when you spend the 65$ ont he right spark plugs)
-KYB GR-2 struts with H & R springs
-Megan racing seats
-Personal 280mm stearing wheel
-Familia rear strut tower bar
Teqnyck

Post by Teqnyck »

Yeah, if you don't have emissions testing, just pound the guts out of your cat, then put it back. It may only get you one hp over a high-flow, but it will save you 60 bucks!

And FYI, it won't make your car hardly any louder unless you already have a really loud exhaust.
KLZE/KL31 ecu/Pacesetter headers/track pipe cat delete/2.5 inch custom exhaust out to fart pipe/warm air intake for now :(/Fidanza 9lbs flywheel/Stage 2 kevlar road racing clutch which still slips/stock wheels/BFG KDW-2 tires. Looks bone stock ;)

There are those who claim to be street racers, and then there are those who claim the streets for themselves. I am not a street racer. I am a StreetSweeper.
http://www.streetsweepersracing.com
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

lol i mite want to be careful though my car's muffler is a custom "Home Made" lol, the person that owned it before me cut all the s--- out of it, and my car also has a blowen resinator.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

i'm sure you'd gain more than 1hp if your 10-15 year old cat was clogged, i got a hi-flo put in with my exhaust...., loud but not tinny
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”