Winter around corner. What tires?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
ShaLLA

Winter around corner. What tires?

Post by ShaLLA »

I have the stock GS rim 205/55/15. My tire options are limited to a few all season tires; Yokahama Avid t4, Bridgestone Potenza, Michelin Pilot, Eagle GTII. I am not interested in getting a 14' rim for 3 months of driving in the snow, even though the 205/55/15 is a bad size for it. <BR>I can get the Potenza's for $535 installed tax in. Can anyone give me feedback on how any of these tires perform?
sk94gs

Re: Winter around corner. What tires?

Post by sk94gs »

I've just gone through 2 Saskatchewan winters with the Yokohama Avid T4's, only because at the time I couldn't afford a new set. They were terrible! They're like racing slicks, very little traction. I just purchased 4 Bridgestone Potenza RE910's about one month ago, but there hasn't been any snow to test them out in yet. I'm sure they can't be any worse than the Yokohama's. I liked the tread pattern on the Potenza's better than the Eagle GT II's, so that's why I went with them. Michelin Pilot's were too expensive.
KWK MX3

Post by KWK MX3 »

Dont laugh but have you checked out canadian tire? Their Nordic Icetrac 195/60/15 are about $90 a tire. But wait there is more: they sometimes have a "second tire 1/2 price" sale every year but you have to wait for it. Thats what i did. Before I had Michelins, more expensive but crappy in the wet and slush. The Icetrac is a bang for buck winter tire. Change all four if you can, but if not change the fronts only if the rear are all seasons and are the same 195/60/15 size. With well equiped snow tires the MX3 handles the hard Canadian winters surprisingly well. <BR>Have fun, play safe ;)
KWK MX3
KWK MX3

Post by KWK MX3 »

If you leave "V" rated tires on the back, or summer only tires, then your car will fishtail like a rear driver. But with all seasons you really have to crank it hard to get the car sideways. Im sticking to snows in the front and all seasons in the rear, until that sale comes up.
KWK MX3

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”