mx6 swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
s1zzl3

mx6 swap

Post by s1zzl3 »

im planning on swaping a 96 v6 mx-6 engine and tranny into my 93 4 cylinder mazda mx-3
and im just wondering if its even possible
im plannin on purchasing a donor mx-6
but just not sure if i should even bother..
would the power difference be great?
the faq isnt much help to me right now cuase
i dont know what type of engine my car has much less the mx6 :? :?
can anyone help me?!
thnxz in advance
s1zzl3 & s1 Designs 2009
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2312320
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Not really worth your time man.. and there will be parts you would need that wont be found on the MX-6. Your engine is a SOHC B6 4Cyl. A V6 will fit into your car.. but you will need to swap over everything.. suspension.. radiator.. wiring harness.. ecu.. crossmember & motormounts (likely not the same on the MX-6 as the MX-3 so you would need to get them elsewhere) etc..

It can be done.. but its a LOT of work. A simpler and potentially more powerful solution would be to swap in a BP engine into your car. That will move you up from 88hp to around 120-130hp. If that isnt enough.. you can later turbocharge the engine and break into the 200hp range with easy.

There is a lot of info here on this site.. if you want to do either engine swap.. you should start searching and researching and a LOT of reading. Knowing what you are doing before you start doing it will save you a LOT of time.

Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i buy a 92-94 protege LX so u have what u'll need to swap in a BP into ur 93 mx-3. u'll have engine trans axles wiring harness and ecu. these are all u really need to do a bp swap very simple direct bolt on plug and play swap. of corse the mx-3 trans will bolt up to the bp as well.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

is the bp plug and play for the dohc mx3's?
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

The BP is plug and play for any MX3, providing you have a donor car or a COMPLETE parts bin...donor car makes much more sense, trust me on this, i know all too well.

Obviously easier and much more practical upgrade for an i4 MX3 than a V6 MX3, but he BP will go in any MX3.
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
SpikeDerailed

Post by SpikeDerailed »

The BP is a direct "plug and play" in the sense you could plug in the old wiring harness and ECU and have it work.

While it will bolt up, you need to switch the harness and ECU from the car the engine is coming from(and get a engine from a car with the same drivetrain as the car you have now...either auto or man).
mx3hatchcrap

vaccume lines

Post by mx3hatchcrap »

any additional or modified vaccume lines? for the intake?
is the radiator bigger on the bp engine cars?
are there aftermarket turbo kits that bolt up to a bp that will run safe on 6-8psi? without destroying?
My Beater Mx3 is For SALE!!! >
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

My source of Life: Psalm 118:8 (the very center scripture in the bible!)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Its possible. You need parts from an mx3 gs. Need the whole harness , engine mounts, radiator..mx3 transmission or mx6 and mx3 shafts... its cheaper to go bp tho..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

its definatly cheaper to go bp bp has a better potenetial for a cheaper turbo system. but u cant beat the sound of a k series engine and how freely it feels like it revs i used to have a pgt, plus vris feels a lot better than vcisin my opinion but i have yet to drive a bp unfortuanatly. i have the b6-been thinking of swapping for bp or cheap wreckyard turbo system for the b6. i think the bp pulls to 7500 tho so its the similar in reving to the k sereis. but i wounder if u got a gs crossmember motor mounts and rad, plus a klo3,klde(400 on probetalk.com,onpoc.ca) used and a mx6 probe gt tranny shouldnt be too expensive of a swap less than a b series into a honda id think but not as cheap as the bp-id want the klde probably with klze cams,intake manifold, pheno spacers, probinator chip in probe ecu,gs flywheel and a 75 shot or 100 shot as the lower compression bottom end compared to the ze can reliably take spray-my probe motor had 290 000 on it when the motor blew and it was taken over redline 7 a lot especially in first and second plus the increased toque of the six would be worth it altho id imagine traction would suck in first when in vris. but if i maybe had a scort gt i would be sayin go bp so thats just my opinion-i like the idea of having an inline4 for turbo over a v6 turbo personally tho so compare future plans wants and budget but going from the SOHC to the bp would be a nice improvement ud be happy with i imagine-especially when in the top end and vcis as the sohc has no top end at all at least my buddies doesnt with exhaust and intake compared to my dohc-from 5000 rpms up i pull 3 cars in third easily.and it would be nice with either swap as ud be able to get 100+ km/h out of second gear. wish mazda had a system like Vtec with seconary more agressive cam lobes tho
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”