Neon lights is it easy

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
XHurleyX

Neon lights is it easy

Post by XHurleyX »

Ok heres the question i want to get neon lights for my car and i was wondering do i need extra wires or anything and do i have to buy my own switch if i want to turn it on and off so all im really asking is IS IT EASY i want them really bad so could i do it my self....note: i have no idea about wiring things im bad with eletrical stuff so ya can anyone help me
-Simon-
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I'm no subject matter expert here, but I would assume that it would depend on which kit you buy. If you get a crappy kit, it prolly won't come with everything you need, whereas a higher end kit prolly comes with the switches and wires that you need... But I have no clue, I have never purchased neons, and I have only messed with someone's neons that were already installed, albeit very poorly.
No more MX-3.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Where are these neons going?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
XHurleyX

Post by XHurleyX »

Under the car
-Simon-
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Depends on the neons.

Normal underbody neons normally come with a transformer. You need to wire up the transformer to a switch. Sometimes the transformer with have 2 wires for the switch alone. If not, you'll need to hook up a relay from the 12v source. Also, with that, the wires between the neons use one or two wires? If it's one wire, it needs to get wired up around the car and back to the transformer. If it uses 2 wires, there's a tube that's a "Dead end" that only has wires on one end, not both. That only goes one way from the transformer. In both my kits I've had (both Eurolite kits which i hightly suggest for durability) and i needed to extent the wires.

Antoerh type of underbody neons are the cheap kind, they have the transformer buit into each tube. You just connect the reds and the black wires together,and they'll definitely need to be extended. All you need is a switch that connects from the battery (or any 12v source) to the neons. They use so little power and small guage wire that they don't need a relay.

In short, if it's a one or two wire set with a transformer, they would be the easiest, but the cheap kit where you have to wire each tube to 12v can get confusing. I had to do one serveral weeks ago
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”