Thump or Clunk/click sound when turninig left

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
eman

Thump or Clunk/click sound when turninig left

Post by eman »

when I trun left (especially hard left), there is a clunking/clicking sound from the right front wheel. Is this a tie rod or other issue? And can it be repaired by a novice or will it require an expensive repair job by a mechanic? Car seems to drive ok otherwise. The sound is very audible when moving from a parked position. It does not occur when I turn right. Also can a used part be used for repair or do you recommend new parts.
Perhaps ther is some thing lose not requiring parts . How to I diagnose?
When I purchase vehicle I was told the cv joints had been replaced. i have had car for less than a year (1993 MX -3 /4 cyl/auto).
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Your right axle is shot. You need a remanufactured one.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I agree with Lakersfan. Your CV joints may have been replaced.. but clicking sounds are almost always a CV joint going bad. I'd recommend replacing the entire axle.. is usually easier to do and may even cost less. Also.. just cause they said they replaced the CV Joints doesnt mean they did.. unless you have physical proof of that statement.. I would just accept that they probably lied about that. This job is not that difficult to do.. but it does require a fair amount of specialty tools and a couple of hours of time. Its also possible that when they replaced your CV joints last that they used the wrong part or replaced the axle with the wrong axle.. unfortunately.. the only place I can recommend that will give you the right axle for your car everytime is the most expensive place and that is the mazda dealer.

I'd call the dealer and see if they have an axle in stock.. if they do.. go and measure it.. then call around and see if you can find another axle for less.. measuring the length to make sure it matches what the dealer says is correct for your car. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Tunes67 wrote: I'd recommend replacing the entire axle.. is usually easier
He hardly has a choice. Once it starts clicking, you HAVE to change the whole axle. You can only reboot if you catch the ripped boot before you jack up the axle.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Ahhh.. My bad.. I didnt realize you couldnt just replace the joint like on other cars. I havent actually been inside the boot of one of our axles yet.. I just figured they would by like most other CV joints.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Flinch

Post by Flinch »

i had the same problem turned out to be the ball joints needed tightening.
-KL31 stock internals with curved neck intake manifold and KL36 ecu
-Turbo running 7.5psi
-FMI 3"x12"x32" all alluminum and welded, have a 7.5 PSI spring she just creeps on cold nights
-ACT 6puck sprung/96 probe tranny
-Short shifter
-HEI and MSD 6al (makes a big difference when you spend the 65$ ont he right spark plugs)
-KYB GR-2 struts with H & R springs
-Megan racing seats
-Personal 280mm stearing wheel
-Familia rear strut tower bar

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”