Squeeling

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Echo2291

Squeeling

Post by Echo2291 »

My engine keeps squeeling like a pig in heat. everytime i take it to the shop thay just tighten the belts. this stops the squeeling for a short period of time only. This leads me to believe there is something more that loose belts wrong but i know nothing about the workings of a car.

it is a 1995 4 cylinder mx-3

any ideas? i have been told maybe a tensioner or alternator problem? does this sound right?

any ideas would be great so i can go to a new mechanic with an idea

Thanks
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Get new belts :P. depends on what squeeling to. If you bring it to the shop and they tighten it and the squeeling goes away its your belts. If it still squeels after or whines it might be a bearing on one of your accesories that are belt driven.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
xtreme velocity

Post by xtreme velocity »

i agree with the guy above me..
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles
Echo2291

Post by Echo2291 »

Ok, thanks for the response
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

not all ways true my car does it on start up and i just put new powersteering pump, alternator,unhooked ac, and replaced the crank pully, any tighter on the belts and they break again. no i dea what eles it could be and were not the only people on the fourm that have this problem the few i know they fixed thier belt problem by swaping the engine over to a klze but thats not in my budget so i deal with it.

Reaper
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

My 92 RS was doing it all the time, until I took a prybar and pried the alternator to hell while tightening the bolt. I tought everything would blow up but it never did it again.

The car was running good, then after 20 kms, it would start to whine and would never stop. I'd get out, tighten it a little bit again and I'd be fine for another 20kms. When I got pissed off I pried it for good, and it fixed my problem.
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
tuner

Post by tuner »

replace the belts with real mazda belts...they are not much more expencive, if at all, and they will not squeel!

ive had belt problems with my old 323 and my mx3 with generic belts (canadian tire crap) and both times replaced them with real mazda belts and never had another problem. not saying this is everyones answer, like said above could be bearings or something, but when buying new belts...go with the good ones.
dont drink and drive....you might spill your drink.
tuner

Post by tuner »

replace the belts with real mazda belts...they are not much more expencive, if at all, and they will not squeel!

ive had belt problems with my old 323 and my mx3 with generic belts (canadian tire crap) and both times replaced them with real mazda belts and never had another problem. not saying this is everyones answer, like said above could be bearings or something, but when buying new belts...go with the good ones.
dont drink and drive....you might spill your drink.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”