V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
FD3S

knocking ?

Post by FD3S »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... %60s+wrong

This knocking was come suddenly, it´s hear 1500 -->
FD3S

Post by FD3S »

it looks like that ticking noise comming from the rear bank or midle. There isn´t power lose and all compressions are about 14,5 bar
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Welcome to MX-3.com. Do a searck for tick or ticking or HLA's.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Oil level? Oil condition? Ran any detergents through the system? As well as commonalities in the FAQs.
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
FD3S

Post by FD3S »

Yes. i washed system a forte motorflush not work.. I added oil.. but knocking is not same that hla sounding.. its like knockin a hammer to iron. that sound not hear that video good..
Matt

Post by Matt »

omg! mine did the exact same thing last night. i was sitting at a set of lights then it just started slowly and i pulled into the parking lot and it happened. can someone link me this ticking thing that custommx3 said
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

i hope you find out what it is...
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If it sounds like a hammer on metal you need to do another compression check. Check the fuel pressure and make sure the injectors are all firing. The only way to test injectors without a bench to test them on is to pull the plug leads and try and start the car. The gas will enter the cylinder, but not ignite. Pull each plug one at a time and make sure they all reak of gas. If one doesn't you may have a faulty injector. I would have the oil pressure tested too. Those engine cleaners are a BAD idea IMO.
Good news is that the ECU should detect knock and put the car into limp mode and will hopefully have saved your engine.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Patdiesel do you think an injector is flooding a cylinder and causing knocking? Lower end knock i.e. rod bearings/crank bearings probably won't show up on a compression test. If an engine has been neglected you would be suprised what a high detergent additive will do. Rings become unstuck and then seal, compression comes back. HLAs pump and now valves are quiet. it is common for a HLA to bleed down with long cranks (customer can't diagnose no start and cranks the hell out of the motor) then when you fix the no spark condition(or whatever it was) the engine won't start cuz all the valves arn't opening fully. I am not one for snakeoils but believe me detergents are a valid/optimum repair in certain circumstances. poor maintenance, running oil low or long service intervals creates sludge/carbon problems internally.

pulling injectors or plugwires individually can help dtermine if one or many cylinders are affected.
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

BTW check out patdiesels new fancy signature1
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Could be low end knock. I haven't had any experience other than stories to know enough to tell. Especially without seeing the car. I am just throwing semi-educated guesses so that he can look for things or suggest to a mechanic.
As for oil additives, I've just heard so much bad about them. However, it is always hard to tell when the motor was neglected in the first place what "caused" the problem. (chicken and the egg sorta thing)

Thanks for the props on the sig, but I cannot take any credit. Except for the sexy pics of my car and self that are hidden behind the letters :wink: . Perry (ATLMX-3) of MOCA made it for me.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
FD3S

Finally relieve

Post by FD3S »

i changed fritictiongears, and cleaned HLA´s ticking go totally away but knocking is left. I decided to go for a little drive and about after 15km the engine cut off :shock: It starts up and goes but keeps scratching noise. fault might be inside of the engine propably somethig down there :roll: finally trouble might be found. I wait with huge excitement 'till i've get opened the engine. If someone of you have the same kind of problem as me just have a hard ride :twisted:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmmm so u hanged friction spring? hmm then what i would look at next is the crank shaft for wear. Its actually easy u just gotta have time. Jack engine and take cross member out. Pull the bearings and you can see it. Or easier.. compressiont est again . :) hmm the way i found a faulty injector was the ghetto way... taking out the plug. putting a rag with a small wire inside the plug and starting her up.. taking rag out and smelling it.. yes yes ghetto.. but it told me which injector was bad.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Flinch

Post by Flinch »

LOL well i tried premium gas for my KL31 and she workes fine now Maybey your engin is PINGING!
-KL31 stock internals with curved neck intake manifold and KL36 ecu
-Turbo running 7.5psi
-FMI 3"x12"x32" all alluminum and welded, have a 7.5 PSI spring she just creeps on cold nights
-ACT 6puck sprung/96 probe tranny
-Short shifter
-HEI and MSD 6al (makes a big difference when you spend the 65$ ont he right spark plugs)
-KYB GR-2 struts with H & R springs
-Megan racing seats
-Personal 280mm stearing wheel
-Familia rear strut tower bar
FD3S

yes!

Post by FD3S »

It was 6th sylinder connecting rod`s bearings, they was one top of one other. :twisted:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”