15's or 12's...the endless debate.

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

ummm ya that is dumb... :lol:
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Pumas_kitten

Post by Pumas_kitten »

My boyfriend has a 12" 1000 watt pioneer sub in his mx-6.
We listen to techno all the time and it sounds great.
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

heck with 8s, 10s, 12s, 15s, 18s
you guys should get this
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/su ... Hammer.cfm

"You will literally not believe it until you see it. Standing in at 23” tall, 369 pounds, and with 12,000 watt peak music power handling, you will be hard-pressed to find something that will get in the ring with this heavyweight."
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

PATDIESEL wrote:1- 12 in a sealed box, best of all worlds. Good response, not much space, good bass. but a good one, 1200 watt RMS and push it with a good amp 1000 watt class D.
I fully agree.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

if you were pushing a 1200 watt RMS sub with a 1000 rms monoblock amp, you wouldn't be using the sub to it's full potential...

FRANKLY, something like a 15inch brahma or other SQ subs would be "snappy enough". Honestly i don't think that 3" is going to make that much of a difference. There are alot of high end snappy 15" subs around.

bigger sub = bigger sound, and the same snap if your using a higher end sub. why the big argument?

15 inch subs can do more than 12 inch subs as long as they are highend brands like Diamond Audio, RE, DD etc...
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

i would kill to have a jackhammer sub only thing is to get our cars up to a point were they could handle a bass note with out going in to shock and dying you would be looking at a total hp rating on your car of about 50hp just to keep your battery charged not to mention the weight of the sub alone never mind the size of the box for it

Reaper
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
MeNtAlPaTiEnT

Post by MeNtAlPaTiEnT »

I've been pondering about three 12 inch woofers thrown into the back (if there is limited space to allow it) Never done this before but it would probably look pretty kickass and sound it too. Anyone ever do 3x 12"?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Vanished wrote:if you were pushing a 1200 watt RMS sub with a 1000 rms monoblock amp, you wouldn't be using the sub to it's full potential...
Yes. You'd be loosing a WHOPPING 0.3 dB. Oh the humanity!!
chew*

Post by chew* »

Legato626 wrote:i love my 15in i have a crossfire BMF (i love this sub) this sub is a duel coil 1200 max watts RMS and i would love to see you find one 12,10,8 that can do more that this 15. =)

P.S. solo barics dont count :mrgreen:
I can name one right off the top of my head.......the pioneer premier 12" 5000spl model...........
sampsonmx3sv

Post by sampsonmx3sv »

Sealed 15 or dual 12s ported
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

Legato626 wrote:
I used to have 3 15" rockford fosgates dvc HX2's, then i sold everything but the box and now have a full new custom setup. 4 Diamond Audio 12" M6 dvc subs, 2 Diamond Audio 8" M3 subs for mids and Diamond Audio 7" component sets in the doors and custom kick panels. Running Crossfire Amps. 2 VR2000D amps, 1 VR401 amp and 1 VR404 amp. Crossfire indash Line driver, 2 optima yellow top batteries, 10 farat tsunami cap.. http://www.cardomain.com/id/wkdmx3gsr

Helps to be sponsored also. have sponsors from both companies...

if you guys havent heard of Diamond Audio and Crossfire they are AWSOME. I also have a VR2000D & VR401 In my 2002 WRX with a Crossfire 1500 watt 15 dvc sub inverted in a dual ported box hits crazy loud. they are a little $$$$$$ money than Rockford or JL but sound so much better.

Crossfire rules!!! =)
You must shop at Egger's Audio, NO??
Diamond audio and crossfire combo...gotta be Egger's.

I used to run a BMF15, upped to the DM, and then got rid of crossfire sub and went Elemental Design's e15a. After cracking the original cone twice I finally got there final aluminum design.

When set up right there is no reason a 15 should only be good for rap and techno. I listen to metal and it has no problem keeping up with the fastest of double basses.
15's have been given a bad name by joe shmoe that had a pair of walmart 10's and hooked up his ebay special 15 on the same low power amp/amps.
15's require lots of power to sound good. no cheap package setups
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams
chew*

Post by chew* »

15"s can not and will not ever be found or used in SQL vehicles......ever unless of course the would be user likes to lose..........Anyone stating that a 15" sub can sound as good has obviously never competed or doesn't fully understand how sound quality is achieved or measured in a vehicle. Increasing the power to a 15" does not net you sound quality.............For the most part SQL competitors use 8", 10" or 12" subs. I would say 8" and 10" is the more dominant sizes used. Also most winning cars use only 1 sub, as #1 its more efficient use of space and power, #2 there is less chance of cancelllation or level matching/output issues not to mention most amps produce sound cleanest at 4 ohms, #3 A sound quality box is usually abnormally large in order to enable the sub to hit rock bottom low's. An average 15" sub SQL box would be in the range of 5-10 cubic feet. How many of you have 10 cubic ft to spare?

Sorry for going off on a tangent here but I hate when people post inaccurate and or misleading info.

As far as SPL goes the 15" is king even over most 18" subs save a square
kicker solo x. Also might add that 2 12" subs are not always better than a single 15". Running a single sub is always more efficient. A single 15" powered properly in the right box tuned for the right frequency will usually beat 2 12" subs tuned the same way. There is one sub that breaks this trend and its the pioneer premeir 5000spl however compared to the 15" of the same brand, it to will lose, This has to due with pioneers use of the edge rolled rubber surround giving the sub more surface area.

Here's a sealed box reccomendation for a kicker 15" just to get an idea of size for a SQL box. BTW this is a kicker CVX round i am using for an example, as the squares shouldn't even be in a sound quality comparison since they are strictly designed to have more output at the cost of sound quality. Quite simply sound waves are round not square......all they do is move more air.

SealedSQ (MaximumEnclosureVolume)
5.2 ft3 (147L) Power Handling = 500W RMS

Now most manufacturers will not reccomend larger because well who wants to waste over 5 cubic feet in they're vehicle. A professional box building program like i use tells differently and usually the max reccomended is due more to actual usable space. If I run a curve with the program using the specs of that sub 8 cubic feet nets 3db increase in output and lower tuning.

Now if sealed for Sound Quality is 5 cubic feet imagine the volume needed for a ported solution.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I have an 8" sub in the back... i call it the "Mature" size. Doesn't resonate out of the car to let everyone else what kinda music you're listening to, while sounding fantastic with very crisp mid-bass. I'd get a larger size, such as a 12" (no bigger) and run a crossover that lets it handle ONLY the super-low tones. I've heard too many large subs trying to handle the higher lows only to achieve a distorted unclear tone. Sounds like crap IMO. Of course, maybe I'm old fasioned, but I like to listen to music, not jackhammers?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

SuperK wrote:I have an 8" sub in the back... i call it the "Mature" size. Doesn't resonate out of the car to let everyone else what kinda music you're listening to, while sounding fantastic with very crisp mid-bass. I'd get a larger size, such as a 12" (no bigger) and run a crossover that lets it handle ONLY the super-low tones. I've heard too many large subs trying to handle the higher lows only to achieve a distorted unclear tone. Sounds like crap IMO. Of course, maybe I'm old fasioned, but I like to listen to music, not jackhammers?
im with you, i have 2 10's and they are more then enough.

the biggest part is clear sounding.

noting drives me more nuts then someone with factory speakers, a cheep deck and 4 15's with 10k watts of power, its useless you hear like 1 word then a big bass note. its just dumb.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I'll have to agree with chew*. A brouse through some car sound forums will easily reflect this. 8" or 10" is more than enogh for our cars when it comes to SQL. Most will also see the swing towards 5.1 sound systems in cars. That's where I'm headed with my CarPC and ICBM 5.1 amp. SQL on a modest budget. I will differ from chew* in that some high end systems are incorporating 2 small subs - one up fron under the dash and one in the rear. In this regard, a small 8" (and possibly a 6") up front with a 10" in the rear should yield some great sound along with a suitable centre channel up front. Unfortunately I'm unable to maneuvre an 8" or 6" under the dash and will decide after testing whether I'll be utilizing 1 or 2 of the 10" JL subs I have. To these ends I'll be running an optical Toslink cable to the amp which also accepts an optical input (ie - no degredation or line loss as opposed to using RCA cables). The motherboard already supports the AC97 codec 5.1 decoding and the amp has DD, Pro Logic and DTS also.
Bigger as far as subs go is not and usually is rarely better than a well tuned system using 8" or 10" subs instead.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”