Horror Story

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Harbinger

Horror Story

Post by Harbinger »

Heres the story...so I get a 93 1.8L model from a mechanic friend of the families just up the street on July 10th. I pay 2.4gs ALL IN for it expecting I'll be able to just drive it off the lot same day.

First off I find some body damage to it (few scratches and a bit of rust on the hatchback) and the bumper is cracked. Kind of pissed but its just cosmetic and can be mended easily.

WELLLL, it needed a saftey and emissions test before he could hand it over. So I go back the next day to find out the saftey failed becuase of the breaks (bit of rust) and becuase its been sitting in his garage for a few months. So he does some break work and new tie rod, cleans the engine out and runs it to make sure its okay, and things checked out.

Next day he takes it down to the e-test center and the damn thing FAILS with a vengence...not sure of the numbers but aparently the results wern't pretty. So he takes it back and tells me the next day that it needs a new Cat (everything thus far has been done free of charge)

He replaces the cat and then I dont hear from him until this week, when I find out he did some checking around the emissions system and found the EGR Valve was clogged and had to be replaced. So he orders the part without even asking me and is now whispering about charging me for the CAT and the EGR because hes pissed that hes put so much work into it. PLUS he hasen't deposited the cheque yet so he thinks its still his car.

But heres the kick...he posts this thing on Auto Trader WITHOUT looking at the car to make sure its okay (I find this out later) Furthermore I find out a stock EGR valve is Wholesale $500 from Mazda.

So The questions is....what do I do, he wants to refund my money because its cost him more to fix it up then its worth.

FLIP SIDE, this thing has break work done, new tranny (few other things that I cant remember off the top of my head), full tune up and now a new CAT and soon to be EGR. The guy hasen't told me the price yet but I might have to put in 500 more into the cost EVEN THOUGH I aggreed ALL IN in the beginning.

Doesnt matter though becuase he's responsible for making sure this thing is safe and e-tested before he launches it off to his customer no?

And to top that, I'm already paying insurance on this thing when I havent even held the keys in my hand...so I've already lost cash.

I ASK THE MX3 crew what do I do and where do I go???
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Hmm, man the EGR can be cleaned out without buying a new one. Also, I would get your money back, even with a replaced cat I think it will still fail aircare. For that kind of cash you can proly find another MX in your area that does not have a sketchy seller.

*Edit*

How many k's does the thing have?
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I am pretty sure you should know wether it can pass emissions or not before buying it
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Technically, can you actually pay insurance on a vehicle you don't own? If you technically own it, tell him he has 2 choices:

-He sells you the car, as promised, saftied and e-tested. And DO NOT reimburse him for what he spend on getting them done. If he promised it safetied, certified and e-tested, it's his problem. If you bought it as-is, it would be your problem.
-He refunds you the money, plus the money you've paid on a car that you've never driven or apparently no longer own.

Either situation, he's out some money. It's either your way as promised (and probably legally signed), or your way that you don't get screwed over. You don't take the money back. If it's sold and under your name, you "sell him the car back" as what you bought it for plus insurance. Cause he didn't deposit the cheque doesn't mean the car's not yours. I'm far from an expert on that, but that would mean he could technically never deposit the cheque, come back a year later and take your car. it's his responsibility to deposit it. If it doesn't clear, it's a different story, but if the car's signed over to you, it's yours. I just hope in hell that you have legal documentation that you bought the car, for $2400, safetied, certified and e-test, if you do, don't give in. Dont give him a cent, and if you want the car, don't take a refund. When I got my car, we agreed, $4200 (he was asking $4500, i offerend $4000, he said $4200 with all that taken care of), safetied and e-tested. He, like your guy, got it all done after the agreement (but before the pickup/full payment, although I did put a deposit of $50), but we both has signed documentation saying that's what we agreed to.

Is this a private sale or from a dealer?

Oh, one question, is it auto or manual?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Pallor

Post by Pallor »

The only way to know what is happening is to be educated, either by reading your commercial code yourself or handing it over to someone else. I'd seek independent legal counsel if you are really worried. Perhaps you have a friend who is an attorney in good standing who may be willing to assist you in the matter.

Often times things that appear to be "right" on their faces are really incorrect when it comes to the legal area.

You can probably handle this peacefully, without courts or alternative dispute resolution. But, its always good to be informed of rights and procedures.

Good luck!
------------
Pallor
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE 1.8L V6 DOHC Raspberry | 2004 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 3.0L V6 DOHC Glacier Silver
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I dont know... i wouldnt go for it..that spells trouble.. god know what else is wrong with it :S 2.5 hmm i dont know... i wouldnht pay 3000 for an mx3 in stock condition ever..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Prices are in Canadian.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Harbinger

Post by Harbinger »

Yea he just pissed me right off, I ended up asking for my cash back...we explained the situation to the insurance company and the woman felt sympothetic and is not charging me AT ALL lol. I think its becuase hes a mechanic and is a business man, all of em have some angle.

It was a POS deal to begin with anyway, I should have done more research before even starting this mess. To answer questions, its an AUTO tranny...that was replaced AND only 163,000km

Looks like it wasen't meant to be...gonna have to hold off on buying my car now becuase I'm back on my rents insurance Part Time under their vehicle...WAYY too much trouble switching back

Thanks for the support guys...I may be back to post again...about MY OWN car lol...some day.
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

Well, not everones a mechanic, but its always a good idea to bring someone of som automotive education when your lokoing to buy a car. Like you've just gone through this hell, and the aftermath. what you dont see... is well, what you get!. This experience will help u in the furure! .
"93 Mazda MX-3 GS. Special Edition* 1.8L
Color -Rasberry Metallic. P-START Ignition*.
EuroLITE Dash Gauge* 77,000/m
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Mazda. Get in. Be M o v e d .

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”