Bad Head Light Problem Please Help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Juggalomastaxx

Bad Head Light Problem Please Help!

Post by Juggalomastaxx »

I have a 94 mx-3 and recently I was driving and my headlights just shut off. Highbeams don't even work. But if I flicker them from Highbeam to low beam they'll come on UNTIL I use the turn signal and then they automatically shutoff. Then after doing that so much they won't even work anymore. I've taken it to 3 mazda shops and they don't know anything. All my Fuses are good. What else? please help.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

maybe some wires are crossed or something? check the fuses in the engine bay and inside, i dont know if you did both already or not.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

if you have drl they could be screwed check the relays and all the wiring from headlight to the interior switch, also check your battery connections if you notice any dimming of your interior lights when your headlights go out you could have a power problem in the car

Reaper

ps could possiable be the lights them self check connections for any corrison and proper watt of lights
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Juggalomastaxx

Post by Juggalomastaxx »

So i checked the headlights themselves. All the fuses are good...still. no crossed wires it looks like. So i'm guessing the internal switch. How hard would that be to replace? i have a 93 gs parts car that i can take that off of to.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Sometimes the switch goes bad too. Lets see a checklist on how all headlights would go out.

Fuse
Wiring
Switch

I don't think both bulbs would burn out with the two fillaments inside each. That would be freaky.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
Juggalomastaxx

Post by Juggalomastaxx »

True that. I just don't want to take my steering wheel off to get to it. If i did i'd want to put a sparko steering wheel on er something worth the effort you know?
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

removing the steering wheel will take you all of 10mins to easy to worry about wased effort.(12mins if you have airbags you know one more connector to unhook)

Reaper
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

are you sure it needs to be removed????
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
Juggalomastaxx

Post by Juggalomastaxx »

I have a 93 gs parts car and it looks like to me that the switch is well hidden in there. And if you turn the steering wheel it clicks? well that means the gears are right behind it.

Reaper I'm taking your word on the steering wheel and i'll atempt to do it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
Juggalomastaxx

Post by Juggalomastaxx »

Done. Yes the steering wheel has to be taken off. It took about an hours worth of time. Problem solved.
mmmx3

Post by mmmx3 »

Hi, did you need to replace anything? Or just clean the switch?

I had the similar problem happened yesternite. I drove in the dark. However, if I pull the "stalk" the highbeam will come on but if I let off, no headlights. My parking lights, signals are all working well.

I have taken off the upper column cover and the horn switch...I wouldn't be able to take off the wheel I have no wrench that'll fit to open.

I have still no clue what's going on. I m thinking it's the switch but don't know what's swithc or where's the switch...

Any more details? Thanks

PS: I have checked my headlight FUSE is good.
ken
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

You have 2 of the same topic. Topic closed, use the one in the electrical/lighting forum

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”