Thinking of getting mx-3 as my first car

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
BrandonB

Thinking of getting mx-3 as my first car

Post by BrandonB »

Hello,
Being a sophomore in high school and getting my license in about 6 months, I was looking into buying a car, and finally decided on an MX-3. Since one can be had decently cheap (around $1500) around here, and my parents said they would split with me, it's just about the only logical choice I could find that didn't look like some kind of box. I was just wanting a few opinions on this car:

148K miles
5spd stick
4cyl 1.6L

$1400

With a price like that and 29-35mpg, this car sure is looking good to me. A few of my friends think it looks shotty, but I personally like it. The only thing that brings it down some are the steel wheels, but I can deal with them until I can afford something better. What do you think?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Not a bad price, but be careful. Knowing this is your 1st car, your going to want to drive the crap out of it. Dont. You'd have 148K miles on that car.

Also, things to check before buying that car. Has the timing belt been changed? Regular maintenance? If your not going to do all the mechanics yourself, the Timing belt replacement can be pricey at most places due to the work involved.

If they have the stock o2 sensors, you can pretty much guarantee you wont get 35MPG.

Know any history of this car?
BrandonB

Post by BrandonB »

Well, this car is at least 2hrs away, so I don't plan on going to look at it until I have ALL the money saved up. I will try to remember to ask about those things, I don't know the history, but from the other pictures, it looks like a pretty well maintained car. There were a few closer, but I don't want to deal with a car that has alot of rust damage, and would prefer a stock or almost stock car, I don't trust anyone but myself to do mods to things I have because most people don't do a good enough job.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

BrandonB wrote: I will try to remember to ask about those things,
I don't know the history,
I don't trust anyone but myself to do mods to things .
Hmmm, sound reasoning. As Barry above explained, you need to get a complete as possible history of the car. Be very very very specific on the questions you ask and ask for possible service records. If your parents are going in on this with you it would be advantageous to have their assistance in this area also. They've probably been there and done that. As always, the best purchase is an informed one. That said, you have a wealth of information contained withing this Bulletin Board. The knowledge you can garner from here will only serve to assist you in making a more informative and wise decision as to whether it's a sound deal or not.If it's straight forward transportation you're looking at than the 1.6L RS MTX is an excellent choice, economy wise. It's the least optioned and least powerfull of the MX3's, so if there's a modding interest in your future, you may want to consider a GS model with the V6. Then again, what yo get in HP you give up on mileage and economy. Your search into the various forums here will reflect that once you get further into them. Good luck

John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
BrandonB

Post by BrandonB »

Thank you for the replies
alleycat29

color

Post by alleycat29 »

isnt that a wierd color of mx3? dont see it very often

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”