ZE in, Kl31 ecu causing problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jbruynson

ZE in, Kl31 ecu causing problems

Post by jbruynson »

The car runs fine with the k8 ecu. When the kl31 ecu is used to car idles funny after 10 or so minutes then won't startup again.

The shop said my kl ecu may be defected...

Anyone have any ideas?
GO OILERS GO!
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

Would the intake manifold have anything to do with this?

They said they ported out the k8 IM instead of using the straight neck.

Since im using the k8 manifold would that be the reason only the k8 ecu works correctly?
GO OILERS GO!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Most likely yes, you will want to use the kl31 with a straight or curve neck. It could be that the ECU is partyl defective as well.
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

K8 has egr and kl31 ecu does not is your egr plugged?
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Perhaps if the job was complete there may be better results. Splitting parts between 2 engines that weren't exactly designed that way is not going to produce the desired results. If you're going to want the benefits of a ZE, perhaps it may be best to complete the job, with the proper IM, TB, ECU and removal/closing/tidying up of the EGR system for a ZE. Half of one and half of another may only give you exactly what you got ....... have of a proper operating car. You usually only get out what you put in.. Who said that anyway...LOL.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

using the k8 intake manifold should not cause any issues since all the sensors are interchangable.

your disty could be the culprit by the way u are describing the issue.
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by garfy1981 »

i couldnt get my ze to idle properly on installation with the kl36 ecu, but a simple idle adjustment/ reset and everything was ok.

maybe check inside the ecu to make sure there is no evidence of it being chipped to accept another version of VAF ????

just a thought, p.s get that k8 manifold off, and get a curved neck you wont regret it :D :D
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

Thanks for the replies.

But it's looking like it is indeed a defective ECU (thanks ebay), supposively it killed my distributor and is causing other parts to short out. So now i'll be getting the car back with the k8 ecu :(.

They still did say the car's damn fast. Said it felt faster than the h22a civic they had in their. We'll see I guess.
GO OILERS GO!
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

well Whatever you do don't drive it hard with the k8 mani cuz I don't trust it, that's what was on my car when my engine blew up.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”