Cracked Bumper

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Harbinger

Cracked Bumper

Post by Harbinger »

I've got a cracked bumper on the front of the car and wondering how to fix it with out replacing it. I just need a temp fix, only thing I can think of is epoxy in behind till I can get some cash to replace it.

Ideas?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Factory or aftermarket bumper?
Factory, not really fixable. You can take the bumper off, push the crack back flat with the rest of the bumper. Then put duct tape over the back side of hte bumper and lay some fiberglass over the area about 6 inches from the crack on all sides. Then when the fiberglass is dry take the tape and glass off. The glass is now molded to the shape of the backside of the bumper. Clean the back side of the bumper with some brake parts cleaner and then rough up the surface of the urethane with some high grit sand paper. Use Epoxy to glue the glass molded piece to the bumper being libral with the glue. Squeeze the glue out by applying pressure the glass and then lay something heavy on the glass until it dries. This will create the best bond possible. If the bumper is twisted much the glass will pop off and you have to start al over. So be careful when putting he bumper back on so that the glass stays attached.
If it is a aftermarket bumper it is made of fiberglass alread and you can basically follow the steps above. Except do not use tape and just place the fiberglass directly to the bumper. Sand the back side after the glass patch dries and then use body filler on the front side to fill in the crack.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

We fixed my factory rear bumper.. well my uncle did.. have NO IDEA how the how he did it... I know he did not use bondon because ive already bumped intoother cars and it did not crack.. ill ask him.. maybe he melted it abck or something.. ill ask. hes the one who did my paint job.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Harbinger

Post by Harbinger »

Not sure if I'm gonna do it now, I noticed that theres a 1" hole missing out of it. Honestly, I might as well wait to see if I can get rid of the rust forming above the windshield and back of hatchback before I worry about the bumper.
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

You can fix urethane bumpers, there is a product called flexible bumper repair kit , its a 2 part formula you mix together than is soft like urethane and completely sandable , kind of a pain in the butt to work with but it works , It also comes with a metal screen to fix holes.
Go to your local body shop supply center they should have it .
Im thinking 3m made it but I'm really not sure
Hope I helped
Thanks
Kris
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well basically what he did is sanded it down.. foberglass ..sanded down and even out..primer and paint ant it looks new... however ther slightest bump supposebly cracks it.. it has survived a small impact to one of my cars on accident while backing up..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Only problem with fiberglass is that it does not bond particularly well with urethane , also the fiberglass resin has no flexibility so when the bumper flexes even from the wind it tends to crack or peel off
Kris
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mines still good 2 go, ive had it for 2 months.
-hec

PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If you mix the resin properly it will flex. Also, if you need it to flex use a tad less resin. The fiberglass will flex, but if you drown it in resin it won't.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Yes but even if you mix the resin soft it still gets that white color over time and seperated from its bonding surface , which it doesnt stick to Urethane particularly well in the first place ..
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well if that was to happen.. all you do is simply re do it? it snot impossible to fix sheesh. Like is aid i fixed mine and i have been ok.. ive fiberglassed since i was very young. There is no reason why we should try to fix it. Other solution is simply getting another bumper?
-hec

MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Oh, no , by no means am I trying to be pushy telling you it's wrong and trying to make you fix it , I'm sure it may hold , in fact if you prep the surface area correctly I know it will hold , how long I don't know maybe a couple months or maybe forever , I just wanted to spread the word to all the urethane owners out there that there is a product specifically designed to fix their bumpers , which is relatively inexpensive, and mostlikely more durable than the fiberglass fix only due to the fact that it's completely flexible . It almost reminds me of a sandable chewing gum that maintains structure .. haha

I just hope I helped , If I could find my kit I will take a picture of it so you know what to look for
Kris
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm what product is this? it sparks my interest.. hmm
-hec

Return to “Appearance”