New Mazda Kabura Concept (RX-8/MX-3 Cross)

A forum to discuss Future Mazda Models. Please keep the posts in this forumto Mazda models ONLY. Not other manufacturers models.
Macen

Post by Macen »

Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

Thunderstorm wrote:It's a two seater for a start.
And there is no news on it's true body configuration.
Our MX-3s - you will all agree, are 2+2 seaters.
And you can actually carry 4 adults around the town / city at a pinch.
Our MX-3 was also designed to be quite a functional vehicle.
I am sure we also find them popular and useful because of their cargo carrying capabilities, despite the low sweeping shape that seems to suggest it can do NOTHING of the sort.
Bit of a Chameleon our MX-3.
It's replacaement should retain those qualities, along with a kick a-- shape.
I don't really think we want the Next MX-3 to be a 2 seater Nissan 350Z clone. With no other surprising configuration changing capabilities.

The existing MX-3 is good for going camping in 2 seater mode, that cargo space in the back is invaluable. That IS probably a major factor that made some people purchase an MX-3 instead of an MX-5.
MX-3s are practical, and admit it, you have at one time or another had the most smug look on your face when loading her up with things a similar sized vehicle of some other manufacturer would have balked.

Personally, I thought that the Mazda SENKU design was much closer spiritually to the MX-3. It's a true 4 seater.
It looks futuristic enough to end up unmodified on the set of I, Robot V.
Just as the existing MX-3 was used as a background vehicle in I, Robot too.

Shape wise, u can see MX-3 the next generation in SENKU.
It doesn't pretend to be the fastest ship on the block.
But it does have the original MX-3 "Shock & Awe" factor.
You see it, your jaw drops.
The rear clearly apes the MX-3 with it's spoiler, you can see how it has evolved to create a vehicle that looks like it flies, not drives.
Look at the rear window glass on SENKU, that is pure MX-3 continuity.
It screams welcome to the 21st Century.
It has a shape to die for.
The main attraction of the original MX-3 for me.

I haven't seen the side views of Kabura yet, but announcing that it is a 2 seater kinda makes it not quite an MX-3.

I absolutely love the fact that we can carry at least 3 passengers in relative comfort in the MX-3 - assuming the driver was so tall, he used up ALL the space behind him. Smaller drivers can carry 4 average sized passengers with ease. The MX-3 is a very functional vehicle.
It's replacement should, nay, MUST carry on that ethos.

Pardon the rambling, but i'm passionate about the design of the MX-3.

Thunderstorm
I believe you might b in luck with the 3+1 configuration of it. even with that, it looks like its got a good amount of cargo room (maybe equivalent to ours). basically looking to be what was hopped....mx-3 inspired w/ more power. just imagine if the mx-3 came stock w/ the ZE? even as an option over the 1.8.
can't wait for the toronto international auto show...see it in person. should get a swarm of mx-3 owners and get some straight facts from the mazda reps.
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

Spot on Deimos!

Have been following this thread since it's inception and YES, u are right.
I retract my earlier statements bout the Kabura - based on not having seen any pix at the time.

I have since seen pictures and read more info on the Kabura Concept - and I willingly admit - it is far more MX-3 than I previously realised.

Seemingly MORE so than the the Senku Concept from a sports car angle.
Kabura = Sporty MX-3 successor.
Senku = MX-3 for the 22nd Century? :P

Thunderstorm
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

Just had a good look at the Kabura Concepts latest pictures (you've probably seen them all already since i'm not on this planet most of the time) and WOW! What a looker!

The Kabura IS the successor to the MX-3 - designwise anyway.
It seems clear that the designers must have been crawling all over MX-3.COM for months, gleaning information about what we loved bout our MX-3s and translating that into the Kick a-- Kabura.

Look at that tail! What an evocative behind!
Look at it carefully and you can see the "kudos" to the MX-3 has been built in.

I saw the seating arrangements - how so very cool.
Now THAT is what I was talking about - original innovation.
The Kabura continues the Ethos of Mazda - Striving to produce something different yet very beautiful - and original.
3 + 1 seating! Wunderbar! That's the way I use my MX-3 right now.
THAT was why I bought it, there was usually going to be a maximum of 3 passengers when ever the occasion arose.

And usually, 75 - 80% of the time, there is just me.
It is personal transport for me, small, functional, kick a-- looks.

Lovely big alloys, windscreen that becomes your roof - and rumour abounds that the tint can be electronically controlled!!

Look at that door. It screams futuristic MX-3.
Those curves have been retained.
The Kabura design might need radical surgery on that nose job, a bit too complicated for my tastes - it can still have a shnoz that will also evoke tears from the eyes of onlookers - on account of its beauty.

That car is the MX-3 of the future. Aye!!

Looking at the Mazda Senku concept, I now see the logical successor to the good old Mazda 323 Lantis series - methinks designed by the same person / bureau who did the MX-3 - seriously bulbous. THAT Mazda 323 that looked like a Flying Saucer on wheels - and still makes my head spin.

I sincerely hope that "The Kabura Cometh".
I would want one if and when it does.

Drat! I think I am in love with the Kabura too!!!

:shock:

Thunderstorm

Devlin

Post by Devlin »

not ONLY that, but on the kabura forums they're saying about it being "affordable" since right now the miata is the cheapest at $20K.....i could very much see myself in one of those....provided they tone down the nosejob and dash/steering wheel (we must realize that it IS a concept however...albeit a promising one)
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

Yup, give us a realistic nosejob on that design, keep the seating arrangement, don't ever change that rear end, keeep that windscreen becomes roof concept (Panoramic Sky Roof? :lol: ) - Oh, and whatever they do, they should keep THAT shape!

Our MX-3s have the wonderful distinction of looking disturbingly similar to the concept sketches first made back in 1990/1991. I'm refering to the ones on MX-3.COM. Few cars get that lucky.

Other requests, Climate Control, Cruise Control, a central LCD screen that can be customised for anything from being the stereo interface - to being the SATNAV screen.

Lets have high tech, proven high tech - yet simplicity.

And Mazda will have themselves yet another winner.
Never doubt it for a second - the MX-3 was / IS a winner. 15 years after it first came out, people still stare at it and ask where can I get one of those? The design was so advanced the Rover MGF tried to copy it - at least they swiped the nose half of the MX-3 and hoped nobody would notice....Boooo! Hissss!

Right now, I'm about to eat my lunch - and I am staring out at my MX-3 in the car park. There are 4 other cars there, all modern and much younger. But you know what?
The MX-3 is the sleekest, lowest, most futuristic vehicle amongst the lot of them. Mine may have been built in 1998 - but it still gives the 2000+ cars a bloody nose when it comes to good looks.

Lets hope the Kabura can keep the flame of beauty burning just as brightly!

:D :D :D

Thunderstorm

Mazdaspeed96743

Post by Mazdaspeed96743 »

Very sharp and fancy looking car here.
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

I looooooooooooooove the looks of this car :D

Too bad that it's gonna cost way too much in denmark.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

you guys are complaineing like they have already slapped the MX-3 name on it and it iwll be showing up on the streets in 3 weeks.

does anyone elts here remember how much the 2005 mustan changed since its concept in 2002?

if they do produce it (and i hope they do) and they do call it a MX-3 (which i hope they do) realistically, the seating arraingement is out, so is the glass roof, and the glass hood. personally i hope its a piston engine, i like rotarys, but i dont feel like i can rip them apart and tune everything like i can with an inline 4. basically it will become less outlandish and more down to earth. dont worry guys, hopefully this can be a new MX3 that is all we ever dreamed of.
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

According to this month's SCC mag. it's most likely getting the MX-3 badge.

-dee
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I read that this car is based on the Mx-5, not the Mx-3. With the body and rear wheel drive. I could be wrong, but makes sense.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
CLPCLD

Post by CLPCLD »

DJGypsy wrote:awesome look, powerful concept...

BUT...

you know they won't build it. why not? because it would sell to people like us like hot cakes. it also wouldn't guzzle gas, so that pisses off oil companies. the automotive business world seems to hate combinations of practicality and true sport, not SUV sport. it seems like every automaker has a retard gene.

here's a basic infraction list, it could go on nealr forever by now: look at dodge, they stopped making the SRT-4. honda? 2002 civic SI, YUCK, 'nuff said. ferrari? giving up clutch pedals for more paddle shifter wimpy-ness. chevy? no more camaro, but instead a corvette with MORE traction control BS, further dumbing down what's left of America's skilled drivers. toyota fell off the map and is making sedans you fall asleep behind the wheel of and SUVs that just get in everyone's way. scions just don't cut it. nissan? forget it, you have to be rich to go fast with them nowadays. mitsubishi forgot what an eclipse is SUPPOSED to be.

we need more cars like:
datsun 510
90's 240SX
70s-80's 280Z
prelude
late 90's eclipse (especially the GSX!!!)
92-95 civic hatchback
MX3's with 2.5L V6s STOCK
92-97probe GTs that are RWD

sorry about the rant, i'm just disgusted with where the automotive industry has been going for the past few years.

i side with you guys though, i really hopa mazda builds the Kabura. :D
I assume you mean 93-97 probes although i don't understand why it would need to be rwd(since i know someone with a fwd one which pulls nearly .96g on the skidpad), myself...

2fazed wrote:I read that this car is based on the Mx-5, not the Mx-3. With the body and rear wheel drive. I could be wrong, but makes sense.
That's what i heard, or read as well. I do kind of like it though.
Silver 1997 Ford Probe GTS - 176whp de
Crystal Blue 1993 Mazda MX-6 LS
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

so.. whens this baby coming out! i want one. i had been holding off for the new eclipse spider but looking at this.. it would be worth waiting a few years.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

i am waiting. i have decided that when (please God, make them build it!) it is built, it'll be my next car.
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
Blazianenigma

Post by Blazianenigma »

Makes me wonder how much will be "toned" down when it hits production.
1993 MX-3 (Converting in Oct)
2004 MS6 (Repairing)
1982 Limited Edition Me (.04Hp)

Return to “Future Mazda Models”