shipping/CDN customs

Off-Topic Discussions
JHetfield

shipping/CDN customs

Post by JHetfield »

I didn't know where to put this so, i guess it'll fit here...

any of you canadian guys who have bought trannys/other big items form users in the states...did you get screwed over by customs?
-94 GS 1.8L Black
-69 Pontiac Firebird 400 Turbo
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

depends who brings it across the border really. If you get it shipped by any of the big shipping companies (UPS, FedEx, etc.) they'll usually charge you massive brokerage fees.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

The key is to have that person ship it labelled/identified as a gift. Then get them to low-ball the value of it. And if at all humanly possible, have it shipped via USPS/Canada Post. The rates with the mail system are comparatively cheaper bu the key part is is that Canada Post only charges a $5.00 cdn flat rate per parcel/package for brokerage fees. If it's marked as a gift you can get by the duties issues. An individual is allowed a ceratin $$ amount annually as a gift, but I really don'y know if they actually keep records of that. If purchasing from a vender, it's going to be a bit more difficult to convince them to ship it vis the methods previously mentioned. You'd be supprised as to what limitations there are a s far as sizes, dimensions and weights go for shipping through the postal system. I'll leave that part of the search up to you. If it has to come via a courier, again, try to get the gift thing and the low-balled assessed value annotated on the package. Depending on locations, another alternative may be by using the bus system. good luck,

John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

jschrauwen wrote:The key is to have that person ship it labelled/identified as a gift. Then get them to low-ball the value of it. And if at all humanly possible, have it shipped via USPS/Canada Post. The rates with the mail system are comparatively cheaper bu the key part is is that Canada Post only charges a $5.00 cdn flat rate per parcel/package for brokerage fees. If it's marked as a gift you can get by the duties issues. An individual is allowed a ceratin $$ amount annually as a gift, but I really don'y know if they actually keep records of that. If purchasing from a vender, it's going to be a bit more difficult to convince them to ship it vis the methods previously mentioned. You'd be supprised as to what limitations there are a s far as sizes, dimensions and weights go for shipping through the postal system. I'll leave that part of the search up to you. If it has to come via a courier, again, try to get the gift thing and the low-balled assessed value annotated on the package. Depending on locations, another alternative may be by using the bus system. good luck,

John
The only problem he might have is the size/weight of the item. I'm not so sure customs would see a transmission as a gift.
JHetfield

Post by JHetfield »

yea...happy birthday, heres a big ol heavy, greasy hunk of metal... :lol:

will USPS actually ship something that big? anyone know they actual weight of an ATX?
-94 GS 1.8L Black
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Heh.. if your checking out shipping companies.. check DHL as well.. there is one local to me and I talked with one of their drivers and can take the tranny in strapped directly to a pallet and they will ship it that way. Should save some $$$ on the shipping. Also... I have cleaned my tranny up a bit.. so its not so greasy ;) Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Check out freight shipping too - i think DHL might be part freight. Also if Greyhound or amtrak or something like that has service to anywhere near you - they ship heavy items for a flat rate - but they dont pick up or deliver ....
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

When i got my tranny parts from Gro, i got nailed with a $300+ FedEx bill.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

johnnyb wrote: The only problem he might have is the size/weight of the item. I'm not so sure customs would see a transmission as a gift.
Agreed, size and weight part. It's not for customs to decide whats a gift and what's not a gift. Say one person has an extra tranny or any other large engine part kicking around and just wants to get rid of it ..... period. If purchaser pays for shipping, the owner can easily identify the item as a gift and still has to give it a declared value. Of course that vakue will be rediculously low. I think the magic figure is around $40cdn or so. I've already shipped 2 sets of oem sideskirts 7' x 1' x 1' through the mail (to Taras and Gro) and identified both as gifts and neither person was dinged on the other end - the US or Canada.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
JHetfield

Post by JHetfield »

I think we should be able to pull this off, without me getting shafted too badly...
-94 GS 1.8L Black

Return to “Off-Topic”