Clutch and Flywheel

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
purplemx3gs

Clutch and Flywheel

Post by purplemx3gs »

Quick question::: Do you need a higher performance clutch then OEM to have an ACT Lightened Flywheel? I dont want to have to buy a Stage 1 or 2 clutch just to have a lightened Flywheel and i need a new flywheel so it makes sense to put in a performance one to give more power....I just cant really afford a performance clutch and all that installed too. So basiclly what im saying is, i want to have a new Exedy Clutch (OEM) and an ACT PROLITE FLYWHEEL...
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

That will work fine. But if money is an issue then you should be able to have your flywheel resurfaced for cheap(less then $100). No need to spend $400 on a lightweight flywheel thats not really going to benefit you much and will make the car less streetable. I would take that money and pick up a klde engine.
purplemx3gs

Post by purplemx3gs »

what do you mean by less streetable, doesnt a lightened flywheel give you more power and acceleration?
purplemx3gs

Post by purplemx3gs »

also how much is a KLDE Engine?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Depends...

Check your local junkyards for a 93+ mx6/probe GT/626 V6
there are a few other cars, but those are the most common. You could go with a 95 millenia also.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

By less streetable i mean the lightweight flywheel makes the car harder to drive. It doesnt add power it just allows the engine to rev up and down faster. Won't really make you any faster in the quarter mile though.

The price of a klde will vary. Junkyards here in Canada are way overpriced but you should be able to get one in good shape for around $500 through private sale. Bolt it on and you got an extra 35hp and 45tq.
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by garfy1981 »

I freeeeking love my fidenza flywheel from rr-racing.com also coupled it to the CM stage 2 clutch. Neither makes the car a pain to drive and it seems to get the power to the wheels easier than before.
I cant comment on the difference felt on the k8 as i put in my clutch and fly the same time as the Ze engine.

But lightened flys get a thumbs up from me !! :D

oh and even if you decide to change for a klde or klze at a later date you can still swap the fly onto the new engine so its not money down the drain so to speak. If you change to a de or ze your need to upgrade clutch anyhow and your also have to change the fly surface in doing so.
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yes flywheel is sexy.. and it DID improoveon my 1/4 mile... :) a good chunk. revs so sexy . worth every penny.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”