A transmission rebuild, how much should it cost?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

A transmission rebuild, how much should it cost?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

So how much should I expect to pay to get a Manual transmission rebuilt? Thats if the transmission is already out of the car. $500?
Also, what if I already got the rebuild kit? How much should I expect to pay then?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Honestly, I would just let a qualified shop do everything for you including getting the parts you need. $500 sounds about right depending on the parts needed.
Cy

Post by Cy »

auto's are just are usually just a rebuild kit whereas with a manual you gut it and make a pile of pieces that need tobe replaced and those which dont...
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

jaydog5678 wrote:Honestly, I would just let a qualified shop do everything for you including getting the parts you need. $500 sounds about right depending on the parts needed.
I know about getting a qualified shop to do the work.
Now, are you saying a full rebuild for $500?
Since I am doing the tranny swap sometime the next 6 or 9 months, I might aswell get a MTX thats is very cheap ($300, possibly one that needs a rebuilt) and then have it rebuilt. I mean, these are 14 year old cars.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Save up some money and get a Qualife LSD diff. Give a qualified shop the tranny and teh diff and the rebuild kit and they can do the work

You will be happy.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

mx3autozam wrote:Save up some money and get a Qualife LSD diff. Give a qualified shop the tranny and teh diff and the rebuild kit and they can do the work

You will be happy.

John
How much should the LSD diff cost? In the end, should I be surprised to pay $700 for the rebuild?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

if you dont have that much money.... visit you local JUNK YARDS!!!!!! get another one
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

There is no reason why you cant get a good 5spd tranny for $300. Check the classifieds on here and probetalk.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

The hell with that. $1500 for a LSD! :x

hey guys,
What if I just go for a used LSD tranny?
Are they hard to find?
I got someone offering me a 5speed LDS tranny for $500. However, his car got rear-ended. Him getting rear-ended shouldnt be a problem. I know but isnt $500 a little too cheap?
Also, it only has 45k miles on it

I know he probably got it from Japan. But say I want to get a low mileage tranny. Would I also have to get it from Japan?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

mxmaz wrote:There is no reason why you cant get a good 5spd tranny for $300. Check the classifieds on here and probetalk.
Classifieds?
Got a link?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

You can get ones for cheaper. Search google for Phantom Grip there like $200 for an LSD..But its a pin that locks your diferential....Some people say they work great soem say there bad. Depends on the application.

And I can assure you the Qualife LSD is worth the money. Probobly one of the best limited slip setups you can get..Yes alot of money but If you can get one very well worth it.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Phantom Grip , I will look into that

So I got some noob questions to ask:
1.) Japan is the only country that i can get LSD trannies from right?
2.) So I wont be able to easily find a LSD tranny at say a junkyard?
3.) Is $500 a overprice for a LSD tranny with 45k miles?
4.) Anyone want to give me specific info on LSD trannies? Like, year/model/country cars they came out of?
5.) Also, do you guys think the LSD tranny I am getting offered is pin and lock or is it the same stuff the Qualife LSD uses?
6.) What if in the future I want to run 250-350whp? Would I have to look into a Qualife LSD because the Phantom Grip will break or something?
7.) Is LSD really nessesary for a 200hp KLZE?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Some people will say all cars taht came with KLZE's are automatics since they were only in big cars like MS8's and Millenias buit they did come in 5speeds but a very very few and hard to find

Another problem is finding the axles for them. There different than our stock axles...so you need to go custom.There is a few people on here with LSDFtrannies sitting around and have no axles so there worthless.

As for what cars in Japan came with LSD trannies I have no clue

anyways do a search for lsd and also check probetalk
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I think it would be easier for me just to get a normal non LSD tranny. I dont want to end up spending $$$$$$$$$$$$ on custon axels and such

Is that a good idea?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”