Time for a service on my MX-3 V6?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
nexus

Time for a service on my MX-3 V6?

Post by nexus »

Hi again! (been many posts last days :lol:)

Okey, my cars have done 153 000km, and I have owned is since 142 000km. Only thing I've done to the car is changing motor oil (used Shell helix full synthetic).

Now, I don't have my cars service book, so I have no freakin clue when something was replaced on this baby...

Some may say I'm crazy buying a car from germany without complete service book, but I'm not... my grandfather who's both a mechanic and also Norways #1 Mazda seller 6 years a row (and with over 25 years of selling only Mazda) helped me when I bought the car... so I KNOW my car is in good shape... but that doesn't mean it's on time replacing some parts..

Now, what would you guys suggest that I check on my car to see if they need replacement?

Is there any parts that you know for sure that needs to be replaced now?
Thanks for all your help!

PS: I'm thinking of buying this B&M Short Shifter: http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/home_ ... d=&s=&mid=

Could I expect better acceleration on this replacement? Would it be worth the money, even though I don't get any better acceleration?
Cheers!
Kristoffer :)

Visit my website about Mazda Sports Cars (MX-3, MX-5, MX-6, RX-7, RX-8) at MazdaSport.org/forum
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

short shifter in IMO is just fro looks and as far as changing parts check the basics. Do you have leaks, creeeks, smells, anything that seems outa place, Check your belts, a big thing also is check your grounds. Start there but without pics or the prefered being there it's hard to say what should or should not be replaced.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
rayrrod

and you still dont know?

Post by rayrrod »

YOU say>>>
Now, I don't have my cars service book, so I have no freakin clue when something was replaced on this baby...

YOU ALSO SAY>> my grandfather who's both a mechanic and also Norways #1 Mazda seller 6 years a row (and with over 25 years of selling only Mazda) helped me when I bought the car

YOU ASK>>>Now, what would you guys suggest that I check on my car to see if they need replacement?

I ASK>> Why doesnt your grand daddy help you on that. am sure, with over 25 years experience selling ONLY MAZDAs, he would know. He does not even have to look at any servicebook. He has experience!
Who better to ask than him? Lucky you.
nexus

Re: and you still dont know?

Post by nexus »

rayrrod wrote:YOU say>>>

YOU ALSO SAY>> my grandfather who's both a mechanic and also Norways #1 Mazda seller 6 years a row (and with over 25 years of selling only Mazda) helped me when I bought the car

YOU ASK>>>Now, what would you guys suggest that I check on my car to see if they need replacement?

I ASK>> Why doesnt your grand daddy help you on that. am sure, with over 25 years experience selling ONLY MAZDAs, he would know. He does not even have to look at any servicebook. He has experience!
Who better to ask than him? Lucky you.
I'm fully aware that it seems very odd asking for help about this in here, when my grandfather now theese cars so very well, but I'm asking here because I don't want to annoy him all the time with my "help" questions. And also; Even though he has been a dedicated Mazda seller for 25 years, that doesn't mean he knows everything about all the cars... after all: MX-3 wasn't actually a "big sales hit", at least not here in norway... :wink:
Cheers!
Kristoffer :)

Visit my website about Mazda Sports Cars (MX-3, MX-5, MX-6, RX-7, RX-8) at MazdaSport.org/forum
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

Just check your service manual (the book with instructions to your car) about the different servicetimes and what has to be replaced.

I'd guess that your car is a GS (V6)? And manual? If so, then I have the same car and I've owned mine fom 235.000km to 265.000km without any major problems. Things you'd probably should check out is the wheel wells for rust, alternator, cv joints (really don't know what this is, but they seem to be a problem for most people).

As for the B&M short shift, I've installed mine 3 weeks ago, and I think it's very good. Not really looks, because it didn't shortened the gear lever any. Be sure to buy the SRD performance bushings for your transmission.

A link to a norwegian site that has a forum for MX3 which I and Mexos frequently visit:

http://www.mazda-ogn.org
'92 GS
My worklog
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

How about cap & plugs, bleed clutch & brake fluid for starters? You might want to take a look at your pads and rotors too. You could also replace your air & oil & pvc filters. (all of which are pretty easy)

With any luck there's a sticker under your hood saying when the timing belt was last done. (not so easy, I sent it out to get that one done :) )

I did all of the above, plus water pump when I got my car, but it has 199,000 kms and had sat for over a year.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed
97 Dodge Dakota - Boyd rims, custom built 5.9 360, custom tranny with kevlar guts and shift kit. Too many upgrades to list.
92 Mazda 323 - winter beater

mx3 by Leadfoot Lesley, on Flickr

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”