tach signal problem

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
hyperman

tach signal problem

Post by hyperman »

I've hooked up msII but i'm not getting a tach signal. I've already tried to pick up the signal from the ecu pin 3E and at the distributor, the blue/yellow wire. These should both give me feed back but i'm getting zero. What could cause this and what should I try next cause i'm running out of ideas.
daytona blue MX-3 2.5L V6 KL-ZE, KL31 ecu, koni lowered 40mm, freeflow exhaust system (decat), centerforge race clutch, cold air intake Dynamik, front and rear strut bars reactive, OBX race headers, Akebono pro act ceramic brake pads, Techna fit steel brake lines, zimmmerman crossdrilled rotors, reverse glow gauges, spinner gauges, topmix front lip, pakfeifer skirts, pakfeifer difussor, pakfeifer wing, inverted scoop bonnet , 17" bsa rims, etc
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

The Yel/blu wire takes the tach signal from the disty and runs it to the tachometer in the dash. If its a stock/unmodified disty and if your tachometer is working then the yel/blu wire should have the tach signal.

You didnt metion the year of the car or the ecu - For 92 models pin 3E seems to be one of the cam sensor signals - the tach signal might be available at pin 1G which is actually the firing signal that goes to the ignition module - it might be (phase shifted and) too weak for any practical purposes.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
hyperman

Post by hyperman »

I'm running a 94 kl-ze with a modded k8 ecu and a 4 pins hei.
daytona blue MX-3 2.5L V6 KL-ZE, KL31 ecu, koni lowered 40mm, freeflow exhaust system (decat), centerforge race clutch, cold air intake Dynamik, front and rear strut bars reactive, OBX race headers, Akebono pro act ceramic brake pads, Techna fit steel brake lines, zimmmerman crossdrilled rotors, reverse glow gauges, spinner gauges, topmix front lip, pakfeifer skirts, pakfeifer difussor, pakfeifer wing, inverted scoop bonnet , 17" bsa rims, etc
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Do you have the external coil?
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Is the colour coding on the E-Spec (Dutch) MX's the same as the NA MX's? Perhaps we're looking for the wrong colour-coded wire. I believe there's an inline resistor that's associated with the the tach signal also.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
hyperman

Post by hyperman »

ariesdude wrote:Do you have the external coil?
No, I don't have an external coil.
hyperman

Post by hyperman »

I've got my tach signal but unfortunatly my battery isn't full enough to give it a good start. Now i have to wait till it's fully charged :(

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”