found a super charger

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mazda(v6)

found a super charger

Post by mazda(v6) »

I found a super charger at a junk yard and the owner let me have it for free.nice right It was from a mustang v6 3.8L i believe it is a m62. If i try putting this on..what would i need and how much would it cost?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: found a super charger

Post by jschrauwen »

mazda(v6) wrote:I found a super charger at a junk yard and the owner let me have it for free.nice right It was from a mustang v6 3.8L i believe it is a m62. If i try putting this on..what would i need and how much would it cost?
V6, very broad and far reaching question. First of all, it would be to your advantage to go through some similar posts wrt SC'rs. If you get to the one I posted a few days ago you'll see links to and few sites that will actually answer your specific question. One big thing should be quite obvious to you, .... first , the SC was free, it may be toast to begin with, hopefully not. Second, it's designed for a 3.8L engine, not at all suitable for a 1.8L V6 I believe. Again, all of that will be addressed in those links I provided .... happy reading and g/l.
John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mazda(v6)

Post by mazda(v6) »

no no it looks brand new and i have a 2.5 L in my car
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

mazda(v6) wrote:no no it looks brand new and i have a 2.5 L in my car
1.8L or 2.5L ..... they are still too small for a SC that may or probably was designed for a much larger displacement. Like I said, read those links for better insight. Congrats on the acquisition btw.
John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

naw...it'll work,it just moves more air. they work off of rotational shaft speeds and as long as you don't over spin them your fine. The main thing you'll need to address are fuel and traction. Also, you need to look at your HP goal and match the superchargers efficiency map with the required about of CFM's your HP goal will need. Key things to look at are CFM's you need to hit your target HP and then the thermal efficiency map of the supercharger. The down side to bigger superchargers are that they parsitically consume more HP than smaller SC's.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

But even in that case. I know what some people will do on cars that come stock with them is put in a smaller pulley to make the SC spin faster to push out more boost. What you could do is use a larger pulley, it'll give you less boost, also a larger pulley should be easier on the engine to spin, reducing the paracidic load on the engine.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:But even in that case. I know what some people will do on cars that come stock with them is put in a smaller pulley to make the SC spin faster to push out more boost. What you could do is use a larger pulley, it'll give you less boost, also a larger pulley should be easier on the engine to spin, reducing the paracidic load on the engine.
Or you could through a underdrive pulley in the mix which will slow down everything including the SC. That would prob work nice, slow down the accessories freeing up a few ponies and let the SC use em up with drag.

I wonder if it would work out to an even trade?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Or both underdrive and larger pulley

ALthough I'm far from a forced induction guru, i don't see going from a 3.8 to a 2.5 V6 that big of a jump. Plus, it technically being larger, you could maybe even get better responce, more power down low quicker, but that's my unprofessional opinion.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

^^ i agree.

the m62 is definately the right sized sc for the 2.5 kl
mazda(v6)

Post by mazda(v6) »

what do i need to do to put it on tho and how much will it costs?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

mazda(v6) wrote:what do i need to do to put it on tho and how much will it costs?
Use the search function. Too broad of a question and too many variables to consider. The M62 is a good choice and if you read Spinkx79's post on SC size in relation to it's intended use you'll have a better understanding . Check other like threads like this and most of your questions will be answered. Another good alternative is to check out Probetalk site. Also http://www.mrspeed.biz is another good source. I believe that Bochek also procurred a SC that is also intended for a much larger displacement engine. Find that thread also. if your not fabricating your own parts than expect to pay at least $1,500+ for the necessary parts to install correctly.
mazda(v6)

Post by mazda(v6) »

my dad keeps telling me that he can custom fabricate stuff like this ill see if he can if not i guees i have to work and save some more. can you guys show me some pictures of super charged 2.5Ls?

Return to “Forced Induction”