Retiming an engine

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Retiming an engine

Post by schuttie2002 »

I have a spare v6 sitting in my garage and it has no timing belt on it. Unfortunately the timing marks aren't lined up either. Is there any way to realign everything and set the timing w/o taking off heads. Id imagine if I just turned the crank pully to tdc, then turned the cam pulleys to align thier timing marks chance are it could still be off correct. How do I know i have it all aligned on the compression stroke?

Or am I wrong and I can simply just turn everything, align the marks and but a new belt on?
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
ktmrider

Post by ktmrider »

Yep, just align the marks and go. Even though a 4 cycle engine requires 2 revolutions for one firing cycle by aligning the one crank mark ( usually cylinder #1 TDC ) and the head marks are all that's required....
93 MX-3 1.8L V-6
FREE!
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

OK

I wasn't totally sure, but i figured it couldnt be that had, because afterall sometimes timing belts break. If you couldn't just align and go, itd seem a little fishy.

thanks for the quick reply
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
chertel

Post by chertel »

where do they sell new timing belts or new water pumps for engine swaps. I am doing the klze swap?
thanx.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

chertel wrote:where do they sell new timing belts or new water pumps for engine swaps. I am doing the klze swap?
thanx.
They call it an 'auto parts store'.
chertel

Post by chertel »

No Sh***t, really. :shock: I checked a few places and they couldnt find me one. I was just asking a name of part store that could get them, sorry for asking?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

chertel wrote: I checked a few places and they couldnt find me one.
Every single solitary general auto parts store in America could order a timing belt and water pump for our engines. The only way I could NOT find those parts in America is if I went to a Chevrolet or Audi dealership parts counter for it.
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

wow, a bit rough there, even though it may seem am obvious question. I got mine at advanced auto. Pretty cheap there and I've used their timing belts and water pumps in the past.
chertel

Post by chertel »

I dont know lankersfan1 nor do I care to. I thought we were all here to help each other but this guy comes on here who I wasnt even asking the question and throws in some cheap shots at me??? Dont know what his problem is?? :?: Oh well so far everyone on mx-3.com has been really helpful, Thank you. this is just kind of like running into some looser on the road who cuts you off and then wont let you pass, goes slow on purpose beside the car in the other lane so you cant get around him, hate people like that :twisted:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

chertel wrote:I dont know lankersfan1 nor do I care to. I thought we were all here to help each other but this guy comes on here who I wasnt even asking the question and throws in some cheap shots at me??? Dont know what his problem is?? :?: Oh well so far everyone on mx-3.com has been really helpful, Thank you. this is just kind of like running into some looser on the road who cuts you off and then wont let you pass, goes slow on purpose beside the car in the other lane so you cant get around him, hate people like that :twisted:
You'd be in the handicapped bus, so I think by law I'd have to stop behind you when your driver puts out the 'Stop' sign. So how could I cut you off?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Now now, everyone back their seats. :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”