Tyre pressures on aftermarket rims...?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
DamoV6UK
Location: The little known village of Mortimer near Reading in sunshine drenched England

Tyre pressures on aftermarket rims...?

Post by DamoV6UK »

Chaps

Hoping someone could clear this up for me. On standard wheels/tyres 205/55/15s mazda suggest 28psi all round.

Im changing to 215/40/17s and wondered what the pressures should be...? dont want to wear out my new toyo proxes too quick!!!!!!

Should I keep the same pressures or does it vary on the wheel/tyre setup?

Damo
MX3 V6 - Modified to include lots of bits such as a Poppy Coral air freshener...
If you see a red MX shattering the tranquility of the Berkshire countryside... Give us a wave!!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Personal preference really. You can even go by what's on the tire itself. I have Kumho Mx's up front and Kuhmo Escta 712's on the rear, and I put max in them, 51psi up front and 45 in the rears. I like the responce and handling of the harder tires, and the firmer ride doesn't bother me at all. One thing to consider is that the tire pressure apparently increases if you run it hard, the tires get warm which warm up the air, so the air wants to expand, raising it a few psi, something to consider.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
DamoV6UK
Location: The little known village of Mortimer near Reading in sunshine drenched England

Post by DamoV6UK »

Yeah youre right about the warming up thing, I heard that if I overinflate them though it will bulge the centre of the tread meaning the middle wears prematurely, dont you find that running 51psi or is that with really high pressures?
Ill have to look on the tyre as well never thought of that :roll:

Perhaps if anyone has a good idea of different setups they could do a FAQ for it for clueless types like myself :?
MX3 V6 - Modified to include lots of bits such as a Poppy Coral air freshener...
If you see a red MX shattering the tranquility of the Berkshire countryside... Give us a wave!!
jamario

Post by jamario »

I put 34 psi on my 215/40/17s Yokohama tires
IF LIFE DOESN'T OFFER A GAME WORTH PLAYING, THEN INVENT ONE.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

A general rule of thumb is for every + size in wheel diameter, increase 2 psi. I run 36 all the way around. Never run more than what is indicated on the tire.
jamesmx3

Re: Tyre pressures on aftermarket rims...?

Post by jamesmx3 »

old thread i know but, i have 205/40/17, they only have a maximum pressure in the side wall, its like 70psi, i ran them at 35 but they look too low i have put 40 inthe front and the side wall still seems flat looking. any ideas??
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Not aware of any 70 psi tires. Are you sure that's what it says? What tires are these?

Usually 34-36 psi is optimal for most tires of that size. On proper low prifile tires sidewalls are reinforced, so they wouldn't look too flat even if close to deflated. So yeah, more information on the tires would help.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

jamesmx3 wrote:only have a maximum pressure in the side wall, its like 70psi,
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah, as I said. Most street tires of that size that I've seen have a maximum of 44 or 50 psi.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

I meant to say that james should look up the normal psi value for his tires and not get confused with with maximum ratings.....

I agree with whisper - the only 50+ psi tires i have seen so far are for RVs, trailers etc.....
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

checked it out today, whoops sorry for the confusion its maximum 48psi, dont know why i thought it was 70!

I still cant see a normal running pressure though, might stick with 40psi. This should be ok, right? Hopefuly it will not over-inflate through the heat caused by driving, will it?
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Normal daily driving with some highway miles shouldn't add more than 4-5 psi. If you want to be at around 40, you should inflate to 36 cold.
the_anj

Post by the_anj »

I try to keep mine at around 50psi :shrug: that's what the sidewall says for max cold psi, so i usually keep it -2 or 3 psi
'94 GS-DE
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

You dont have to inflate the tire to the maximum pressure....
The inflation pressure is vehicle specific - does not depend on the tire manufacturer - since the tires can be used in a variety of vehicles the manufacturers specify a maximum pressure that MUST NOT be exceeded for safety reasons - if you routinely inflate to the maximum allowed pressure - you are pushing its limits.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/Tir ... chure.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.carcare.org/Tires_Wheels/inflation.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... p?techid=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://drivers.com/article/354/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov/po ... lation.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/g ... 0Inflation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Not long ago, I read an old thread about this, right here on this great forum.
Here's what you do:
Drive around a little more spirited than usual, with plenty of turns, and stop. Immediately take the temperature of the outermost tread, and the middle of the tread with the kind of gauge that takes surface temps. If the inside is hotter, deflate a little. If the outside is hotter, inflate. Repeat until the temp is even all across the tread.
I run my tires a little over inflated for less rolling resistance, and better gas mileage, but when I start doing AutoX, I will do the above
By the way, with the pressure at about 43, they never get loose, even taking turns 30 mph faster than posted.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”