GS* Sunroof Leaking!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
PatMX3

GS* Sunroof Leaking!

Post by PatMX3 »

Hey anyone else have a leak problem involving the sunroof?. the leak is pretty bad and seems to be running inside down the drivers side windshield brace. Its def coming in through the sunroof. Also... in the middle of the ceiling theres a circular cap that comes off! what might this be?.
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

I had this problem. Had to seal it off with silicone. Not the greatest job but heck it worked.
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Also check, there is a rubber tube that drains water to the outside via the fender. Make sure the tube in in tact and not torn. IIRC the tube runs down the brace u r talking about.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
Meep

Post by Meep »

Pull the headliner out and take a look at the drainage tubes (there's actually four of them at each corner) connecting to the sunroof. I had a similar problem and all it was was just some small leaves and dirt clogging the drainage tube. Be careful if you have to pull it off though because they're old and prone to breaking.

If you have a squirt bottle of some sort, you could just spray water in there and see where the leak is at. May be a split in the tubing.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Check the drains 1st up. Can't be much else.

DON'T remove the headliner.

Take the cap in the roof out and it exposes an allen head screw that can be used to manually open / close the sunroof.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

Thanksb guys* today, im taking a look at her* taking you guys tips along the inspection!. ill repost my DIAGNOSIS.. lol
"93 Mazda MX-3 GS. Special Edition* 1.8L
Color -Rasberry Metallic. P-START Ignition*.
EuroLITE Dash Gauge* 77,000/m
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Mazda. Get in. Be M o v e d .
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

hey XMASTER19, u used silicone, but what part of piece was deter, or broke to have to use some?
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Bling Bling

Post by Bling Bling »

I have the same problem but not looked into it yet. Let me know what you find.
Stacy Whitrick
MX-West Calgary
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1335558 UPDATED June 6,07
94 GS, Green Envy Pearl QUESTION: Does my car fit the RICE category?
Julz

Post by Julz »

Bling Bling wrote:I have the same problem but not looked into it yet. Let me know what you find.
Hate to bring up a some what old post...but I fixed my roof!! i had the same exact problem. My Sunroof was leaking from the passenger side front. I swore I did everything you guys said...but clean the hose. I poured sudsy water through the top of the opening and a few minutes later roof started leaking. So being fusterated, I took the plastic near the foot well off, located the hose, pulled that out, and stuck a wire hanger up in there. As soon as I did that black gunk and mud poured out from the hose and got on the carpet. So cleaned that up and no more leak!
AAAAaaannnnddd Action!
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

Well, i had this problem originally, and are somewhat still in the process! lol. I have two leak points, the one i described by thefr drivers side, and now... leaking which appears to come from no where!! but always ends up between the drivrs left side floor , next to the door!. im still guessing that its one of the sun roof hoses.. so.. im gonna try what you did bro, sticking a coat hanger to clear it out! tanx peeps! laters!!!
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

Okay guys, well the LEAK was traced to that drivers side rubber hose!! it turns out that there wasnt debris in there, but it has come out of place of its draining hole. These sunroof drain tubes, i hear they can get Clogged/cracked. Our 10 yr + babies can even get theses probs, but we still keep em cuz dur in our heartZ! lol.
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”