speedo cable

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

by the way before you get back behind the cluster i recomend not having the speedo cable attached to your tranny for some play if it is in tact. and if your wwire is fine behind your cluster, it is very possible the gauge is shot
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

how do you know if it's bad or not? you keep on telling me how to take things apart but i still don't know what the "problem" is. i don't even know what i'm looking for. all i know is that it's a mechanical connection and something is wrong but i don't know what. i really don't want to take apart the dash if i don't have to. i would like to look at other possibilities first. what about the connection at the transaxle? isn't there a way you can tighten the cable? if you read my original post, my speedo DOES work some of the time under acceleration and then as soon as you hit the brakes it takes a crap.

i'm sorry if i sound like i have an attitude problem it's just frustrating when people hijack your thread and nobody reads anything you post.
92 mx-3 with lots of body damage
98 toyota tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

If anything is wrong at the back of your cluster, you'll figure it immidiately. Disconnected cable can be your trouble, at either end of the cable. Or it can be damaged, you have to reach to the back of your cluster and inspect de wire all the way down your tranny. The cable comes out of your firewall next to your brake booster. It's a black cable, around 5 mms thick. I defenitely check your speed sensor. It's in the tranny. Read my previous posts, I already explained how to get it out and in of your tranny.

If anything still is unclear, there is not really a way of explaining it anymore. Just take it to a garage.
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

I am telling you to take stuff apart so you can find your problem. You can't just find the problem by not hearing or looking. Unfortunately thats the only way. Unless you can see thru walls and inanimate objects.

Here for example. When I work on trucks and the mechanicals levers get loose and doesn't pull hard enough to engage stuff like a valve... I look starting from the lever all the way to the valve. I will be looking for a spot on the cable that is messed up or starting to break first. If everything is fine I tighten up one end.

Basically no matter how much you don't want to take stuff apart... your going to have to take stuff apart.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

xmaster19 wrote:If anything is wrong at the back of your cluster, you'll figure it immidiately. Disconnected cable can be your trouble, at either end of the cable. Or it can be damaged, you have to reach to the back of your cluster and inspect de wire all the way down your tranny. The cable comes out of your firewall next to your brake booster. It's a black cable, around 5 mms thick. I defenitely check your speed sensor. It's in the tranny. Read my previous posts, I already explained how to get it out and in of your tranny.

If anything still is unclear, there is not really a way of explaining it anymore. Just take it to a garage.
this is exactly the info i needed. thank you for clearing up the missing pieces of the puzzle.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

just look at the firewall around the area where the gauge cluster is...theres a black cable coming out of the wall. fallow it, theres a connection in the middle of the cable, push them together pretty hard and see if it snaps, if thats fine check the connection to the tranny at the end of the cable if thats fine it might be the connection to the gauge, if not, your gauge is shot.
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

well, finally got my speedo working. thanks to all and i apologize if i sounded like an a--hole. i was just extremely frustrated and needed this fixed ASAP. i ran out of gas 3 times this week because i couldn't keep track of my mileage :(

anyway.... my apologies. now let's all learn and move on. thanks again.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

nice job, so what was the problem?
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

you know the connection in the cable between the firewall and the transaxle? (i have noooo idea what it's called or what purpose it serves)

anyway, the part that attaches to the firewall end of the tubing enclosing the cable was broken and gave the cable excess play and slid out from the connection to the cluster. basically all i did was disconnect and reconnect everything.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

haha right on thats exactly what the first thing i said was. nice.
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

haha ya dude! thanks for the enlightenment.

do you know what that little thingy is or what purpose it serves? i'd like to know since that's what broke :)
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

no clue, just push them together then duct tape it, i thought mine was broke, but you gutta pull the handle back on the cable and push them together then it snaps in.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”