Battery Light

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
illapino

Battery Light

Post by illapino »

My pre-purchase mechanic report yesterday called for a new battery after testing its charge

Soc: 12.50 V
Measured: 0 CCA
Rated: 690 CCA
"State of Health" meter at 0%
"State of Charge" meter at 78%)

So I replaced the battery today at another shop. I get in my car thinking that the battery light would be gone now that I have a brand new battery, but nope, it's still on. So I get out and ask this mechanic why is it that my battery light is still on. He says the word Alternator.

Well, the other mechanic that I had the pre-purchase check done at marked Alternator in the green in his review, which means that it's okay.

So how do I really get rid of the battery light?
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

The alternator is probably on its way out - and that could be why the previous battery went dead. The new battery would probably die too if the cause of the problem is not fixed.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

ariesdude wrote:The alternator is probably on its way out - and that could be why the previous battery went dead. The new battery would probably die too if the cause of the problem is not fixed.
Yup.

I'd guess thats what killed your battery and the first guy is an idiot. Took the whole issue as a "battery" problem.

You'll find out real quick because the light wouldn't be on if it was charging ok. Its no big deal though - try to get your old battery back though because theres probably nothing wrong with it. Charge the "pre-purchase mechanic" for the cost of a new alternator. :wink:
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
illapino

i'm dumb

Post by illapino »

sorry. i cried wolf. i didn't know that all of the check lights come on when you put the key in. so neither my oil light or my battery light are on... my bad...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”