rust :(

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
BADMX3

rust :(

Post by BADMX3 »

i'm preping the car to put the engine back in painting and rust preparation and found that rust is killing my car :cry:

already found 2 area's i got to weld.

how much work re: rust have you guys had to do or is it not really a problem over the pond?
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

my car is slowly dying from rust... gotta fix the sunroof pretty quick here... and my wheel wells

bolts are gettin destroyed haha
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

never had a problem with rust on either of my mx3s nice reason to live in the dry hot a-- south
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

Mnemonic wrote:never had a problem with rust on either of my mx3s nice reason to live in the dry hot a-- south

:werd: ...not even summer yet and already the temp here has reached 95 degrees
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

this is part of what i'm facing :shock:

the good news is that most of it is surface rust and i caught it at a stage i can treat it and make my car last for quite a few more years.

btw this only looks like this because i took all the surface paint off
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

dude, that sucks. Mine had gone on the rear arches and a few bits on the bonnet from untreated stone chips, but the previous owner kept it garaged most of the time and only used it as a weekend car! :P
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

i've looked at other mx's of the same age and haven't seen 1 that doesn't have the same type of rusting on the sills. not much to worry about but better to treat it. i still cant believe it's 12 years old lol
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Mine was starting to rust on the stills like that. I didn't even notice it at first, I think it started to show up after about the 9-10 year mark.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Negative on the rust here.. not summer yet and im at 103 - 103 on some days and then constant high 90s... i love the hear.. no rust whatsoever. :) I do miss the rain.. only sprinkles like... once every 2 months :(
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
vasilaar

Post by vasilaar »

good luck man, at least you caught it in this stage.

u should see the underside of mine.

not only are the sills gone, but the rails are rotted too. i've got alot of work ahead of me... good thing i know some welders, otherwise it would be pretty damn costly.
Drive it like you stole it.
colony

Post by colony »

u should see mines
rocker panels are holed 10 inches long
and need welding
yours though are treatable
have them sandblasted!
SpikeDerailed

Post by SpikeDerailed »

Thats the only thing I like about living in North Carolina(cause I didn't always live here) is that there is so little time during the year a car would be exposed to salt. You being from England I understand that your car is constantly exposed to salt(island).
alleycat29

Post by alleycat29 »

it always depends I think what year and crap with the mx3. I have owned 3 now and 2 had a [problem with rust underneath and one by the trunk and wheel wells.. depends if work was done before you got the car and what weather your car encounters...
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

on my car under the doors on the bottom from front well to back well is all rusted out if u touch it its like rubber lol i mean the metal is no longer hard u can flex it and put holes in it... :(
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2

Return to “Appearance”