question about a loud whine

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
CarMan1

question about a loud whine

Post by CarMan1 »

ok recently my engine developed a loud whine.... under load or just sitting in a parking lot.. guessing this is my water pump going out since my alternator is pretty new yet.. can anyone confirm?

and while ur here, is there a bigger alternator i can use on my car? my stereo is killing it since i need a more heavy duty one..
Boris

Post by Boris »

I think you can put an mx6 90 amp alternator. Not sure tho, do a search and you'll find out for sure.
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

For the whine question, add some oil in your power steering reservoir. It's usually a loose power steering impeller that does the whining sound.

If it still does it at idle, pop the hood and try to figure where it's coming from.

And for the other question, If you can find a millenia alt, they are stronger(you can get 135 amps out of them), but you'll need to rewire 2 or 3 things. Nothing to be afraid of though. I guess you can find some infos in the v6 faqs, if not, see this link :

http://www.mx-3quebec.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=5375

It's in french, but if you can find some1 whos talking french around you, the site tells you how to fit it to your car. In the worse case I can translate it to you, just PM me. I'm just feeling lazy right now. ;)
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

sounds like the Waterpump to me pretty typical for them to wine when they go out. just expect to see dripping soon, but on the other hand, have you changed your timming belt recently, or messed with it. cause if its too tight then it will wine, also the stering fluid will wine, but normally only when in use such as turning left to right.

and an MX-3 GS alt is 90 amp also, the only thing you have to do when installing a V6 alt is the main mounting bolt goes in threw the other side. making it alittle more difficult to install, not a big deal. after i did that i had no problems with dimming light when i hit the braks, when the sub kicked in, its nice. but iv been thinking of going up to the mellenia alt 135amp, would be nice, but i really dont have a sound sysem in my car anymore so it really woundent do any good.

best of luck
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

thanks for the info guys, guess ill go look for a bigger alternator
Deadpool

Post by Deadpool »

any listings of what alternators fit what ? Like what year and model alternator to order at the parts counter

I think my alternators bearings or something are going out too
94 Mazda MX-3
Mods - none yet
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

another thing josh forgot to mention, if you get the 90 amp out of the mx3 gs, you need to keep your pulley and put it on the new alternator. stick with that alternator(mx3 gs) its plenty..

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”