MSD Ignition (6BTM, PN 6462) For B6DE

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
GoneAmok
Supporting Member

MSD Ignition (6BTM, PN 6462) For B6DE

Post by GoneAmok »

I am getting parts together to turbo my B6DE and came across the following MSD Ignition (6BTM, PN 6462). Essentially, it combines the features of the 6AL Ignition (i.e., a 6A with rev limiter) with an adjustable boost/timing retard.

Two questions: 1) have any of you ever used this specific MSD ignition (i.e., the 6BTM) or heard much about it; and, 2) for those who have a B6DE and have used any MSD 6 Ignition, did you need to use the MSD Tach/EFI adaptor?

Many thanks for your time.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Good luck with this one. it has been asked many times with no replies.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

dont know, cant answer that one. id like to know tho. and the msd 6 series ignitions rule!

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Ive got the 6btm brand new in a box for my new setup. I was told that i need some sort of cable for it to connect to something but i cant remember now, I bought it used form a PT member.

found it on summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

a universal coil connector so you dont need to hack up the harness.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Yes it will work. I prefer the Accel 300+ w/ 375+ Controller...smaller, lighter, more accurate, soft touch rev limiter is like a dream come true (RPMs only waver 300rpm) and it has a spark like the big bad MSD Digital 6+ ignition. You definately want to buy a new dist. cap w/ brass terminals as well! The down side to the Accel is you have to use a MAP sensor with it, but it also gives you nitrous control, 2-step rev limiter, peak rev limiter, window switch, boost/vac real time display or RPM real time display, start timing retard, and ofcoarse boost timing retard...all of which are indipentaly adjustable.

For a stock ignition powered car w/ stock ecu still running:
-You probably will need to utilze a tach adapter...either way it will give you a cleaner ignition signal.
-For the ignition signal disconnect the stock coil wires (capping off the positve terminal wire) and run the negative coil wire to the aftermarket ignition box's "inductive trigger input" . The ecu grounds this wire every time the ignition is supposed to fire and the aftermarket ignition box controls the coil (stock or after market) directly via its designated coil positive and coil negative terminal output wires. The coil carge time (dwell time) is also controlled by the aftermarket ignition box directly the same way. The MSD 6BTM and other ignitions that offer boost timing retard do that function internally as well. Connect its vac. line to the intake manifold plenum so it see vac. when the throttle is closed and well...the rest is obviouse...lol. :wink:

The most important thing, besides the above mentioned is to mark sure it has the best CHASSIS ground possible. Make sure you scrape away any surface coatings until you see bare shiny metal. Then connect your ground wire and it wouldn't hurt to seal it with primer-n-paint, goop, die electric grease etc... for a corrosion free long life connection.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
oh-hell

Post by oh-hell »

wow thata alot of info. So far ive been to 3 tuners and none of them know how to install a boost timing master on my mx3. I had one guy reserch it for 4 days and refused to take the job. Im now considering the megasquirt system and external blaster 2 coil insted. Dot be like me. Ive purchased about $400.00 worh of mods im no longer going to use due to install difficulty.
[fs] 92 MX3 gs 2.5 klze v6, Intake, Exhaust,drop zone spring{awsome},Turbo, Splitfire plugs, fmu, gauges ,drilled slotted rotors ,motegi rims,tires,Blackout lights, and a nut behind the wheel~~ so far.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

oh-hell wrote:wow thata alot of info. So far ive been to 3 tuners and none of them know how to install a boost timing master on my mx3. I had one guy reserch it for 4 days and refused to take the job. Im now considering the megasquirt system and external blaster 2 coil insted. Dot be like me. Ive purchased about $400.00 worh of mods im no longer going to use due to install difficulty.
What did you buy and what are you selling?
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
oh-hell

Post by oh-hell »

Extra injector kit with the replacement maf sensor{a little black box thing about the size if a wallet} , msd boost timing master, obx fmu , and rails.
[fs] 92 MX3 gs 2.5 klze v6, Intake, Exhaust,drop zone spring{awsome},Turbo, Splitfire plugs, fmu, gauges ,drilled slotted rotors ,motegi rims,tires,Blackout lights, and a nut behind the wheel~~ so far.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I'm here to help...when I have time. I've been into electronics since before I could even drive a car. Originally went to school to become a Network Administrator (Have had A+, N+, & CCNA certification training). Tinkered with car audio for several years then a friend took me for a ride in his supercharged civic back around 99 and I've been a gear head ever since! I've been a Design Engineer for a plumbing fittings manufacturer for about 2.5 years now and was a Computer Systems Engineer for about 2 years after I graduated high school. I'm allways coming up with new automotive designs but don't have the money to back them or my 4 banger would be making in excess of 1000HP daily. If you lived around here or were able to make a trip out here I'd install the ignition or what ever else you wanted for cheap ($30 an hour). We also design and fabricate one off custom parts as well.
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
GoneAmok
Supporting Member

Post by GoneAmok »

JWM:

It is people like you who make the forums worthwhile. FYI - Due to your awesome help with this subject, I donated to MX-3.com... The information that I gleaned was simply invaluable.

For a guy like me who knows a fair bit about cars, but isn't a superstar (such as yourself) your help is greatly appreciated.

FYI - I may very well one day drive down your way for some help/work ($30/hour is more than palatable). Moreover, it would be a nice trip from Ottawa. :D
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I agree. Good job Jeremy...Thats why i call you daily!
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

No problem, thank you all for your interest. I took a stand against unfair pricing and low quality products years ago when I got took for about $3000 for an engine swap and ended up reworking 90% of what they did! Also, alot of the BIG name aftermarket parts out there are a HUGE rip off! The automotive industry needs to open its eyes to this and we the enthusiasts need to take a stand against it. Example...look at the majority of the cars broken down along side the road...there not old cars, but the new junk industires are pushing and honestly most of them are domestic at that!
GoneAmok
Supporting Member

Post by GoneAmok »

JWM (Jeremy):

Earlier in one of your posts in this thread, you noted that I should buy a new dist. cap w/brass terminals... Been looking 'high and low' and haven't seen much on the Net nor much in this forum in regards to aftermarket dist. caps (and rotors) for the B6DE.

Any suggestions... All I have seen so far is a Bosch unit (toally unsure if it has true brass terminals - little info on the site) - MSD, Accel and others' websites often don't list MX-3s nor 323s for that matter.

Any help you (or anyone else could provide) would be greatly appreciated.

FYI - I am going with MSD's 6BTM ignition control and the MSD Blaster SS Coil. Getting Magnecor KV85 wires as well.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Sure, the caps are made by Borg Warner and I buy them from Fisher Auto Parts (Federated Auto Parts). I think they are around $20-$25 USD. The MSD 6BTM, Blaster SS Coil, and KV85 plug wires will yeild very good results in overal power increase, throttle response, and gas milage. Gap your plugs around .028"-.032" starting at .032" and closing it up if there is a miss until the miss disappears. I was running .032" gap with my Accel setup and even upwards of 30psi I had no miss fire at all. PM me if you still can't find them.

P.S.

Use the NGK V-Power spark plugs. Platinum and Iridium plugs are a waste of money in my opinion. Look at all the top race teams...they also use the NGK V-Power plugs. I've tried the majority of the plugs out there. Also, the NGK V-Power plugs are only around $8 USD for a set of 4. So they are very inexpensive to replace.
wickedmx3

Post by wickedmx3 »

All I can say is that I am MapQuesting Weyers Cave, VA right now.

Return to “Forced Induction”