Oil from the breather...all over.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
TEAMpK

Oil from the breather...all over.

Post by TEAMpK »

So we took a look see into the motor tonight and noticed a few things. A large amount of oil has been sprayed through the breather filter, an abnormal amount of oil pooled in the bottom of the crankcase and the oil pressure has dropped from 60pis to 20psi.

This whole issue started when the engine was ran way into the red last night. At first it would sound like blow-by, then one would say head gasket, you might even venture to guess the turbo itself could be fubar'ed. We pulled a few pieces out and all the piping for the turbo is clean so that should X that out.

I am at a loss since I havn't torn into the actual engine itself, my guess is that a/some valves and valve springs were pushed past their limit and gave out causing the issues at hand. Failed valves+springs causing too much pressure to be forced back into the case and in turn pushing oil back through the breather filter.
Tim - http://www.TEAMpK.net (formerly known as pkmx-3)
94 MX-3 RS JDM B6T
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Hmmm...first I'd recommend checking your compression with a compression gauge. Check the plugs and besure they don't have oil or a greasy black residue on them. Your valve train won't cause that much blow by alone. The only way the can cause any is if you blew off or melted all the valve stem seals...very doubtful as I ran my engine @ 24-26psi on a BIG GT30R turbo for over 10,000 miles reving 7600RPMs before it final pitched the small B6 rod through the block.

Normally blow by (oil coming out of the crank case breather) is caused by 2 possible things, sometimes both, the Head Gasket and/or the piston rings. If your head gasket is leaking you'll probably see oil leaking around the outer edge of the head, possibly see oil mixed in the coolant, and have usually lower compression test numbers with two or more adjacent cylinders. It it is the piston rings you can pour about a table spoon or so of oil into the cylinders with low compression numbers and then retest them. If compression rises on those cylinders after adding oil then it is you piston rings. If there is no change in the compression numbers after adding oil then it is your valves, valve stem seals, and or head gasket. A leak down tester will show you exactly which it is. I'd say its your piston rings and or headgasket due to the heat you generated on that small turbo. It can barely keep up at 6500RPMs and outlet temps skyrocket with anything over 16psi and or over 6500RPMS on the small VJ-13 and VJ-14 turbos.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
TEAMpK

Post by TEAMpK »

Ya...the plugs looked fine. It blows oil out of the breather like mad. PM me your # again Jeremy.
Tim - http://www.TEAMpK.net (formerly known as pkmx-3)
94 MX-3 RS JDM B6T

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”